Buying a Site: Need Advice!

P

pants100

I was just wondering if somebody might be able to offer me some advice. About two weeks ago I put an offer in on a site (directly to the farmer) of €135,000. He was looking for €150,000.

At the time he said that he'd need a few days to think about it.

He hasn't got back to me yet, but the thing is I really really love this site and I don't really want to let it slip yet I cannot afford to give €150,000 for it.

As it happens I know he has had it on the market for quite a long time and that he was originally looking for €190,000 for it.

I am so tempted to just ring him and ask him if he had thought about my offer. But if I do this I think that I am coming accross as desperate. And that I may aswell give him the €150,000 there and then.

But in the current climate, I think my offer was fair. I have rang about other sites for the craic and put in offers about €20,000 under the asking and they have been accepted.

Do you think maybe he's playing with me????

I'd really appreciate any advice

I think the key to negotiation is to be always prepared to walk away, hard to do when your heart is set on something. I would ring him and see if he has thought about it but I would not go above original offer.

...I am so tempted to just ring him and ask him if he had thought about my offer. But if I do this I think that I am coming accross as desperate. ...
You are.
.. I cannot afford to give €150,000 for it.
I think you've answered your own question.

I find when making an offer if you put a time limit on it, say 10 days, it can act as an incentive for the seller to get back and not indulge in cat and mouse tactics.

If he rings back, sing dumb. "Who?", "What site was that, I've looked at so many", "When did I meet you? Gosh, it seems longer ago than that". If he accepts your offer, you'll know you've bid too much, sorry.

Thanks for the replies guys. No it's not the same site, it was one I've seen since. I've taken SD into account in my offer on this site

Back