Buying a second hand car

Nemama

Hi all,

I'm looking to buy a second hand car here in Ireland. Something bigger (Salon, Estate, MPV) so just wondering the following options based on your recommendations:

- Buying private or dealer?
- If dealer, would I get better value for my current car if I trade in?
- If private, do you recommend paying by transfer or cash? Should I get an invoice or something for safety purposes?
- Should I sell first my car before buying another one?
- Which model would you recommend (family's car)?

Thanks

Depends on how much you are thinking of spending. If over say €12/15K then would go to a reputable garage with cash (i.e. sell current car privately- again depends on how much it is worth).

If spending less then above I would look private and get the car checked by a mechanic.

Personally, wouldn't stick to one model, all the top brands have a lot of options, just make sure the one you pick is a good one.

Some of the basic Qs have been covered quite a bit already, see the Key Posts.

- If private, do you recommend paying by transfer or cash? Should I get an invoice or something for safety purposes?
Invoices give you mo protection whatsoever. You have very little recourse in the event of problems, so unless you know what you're looking at have a competent mechanic assess any car you're looking at.

A mate of mine works in the motor industry and said there was a huge amount of cars sold from the UK to Ireland that had been classed as write offs. Going to something like cartell.ie to do a quick check on the car is well worth the money, especially if going outside a main dealer.

A mate of mine works in the motor industry and said there was a huge amount of cars sold from the UK to Ireland that had been classed as write offs.
Yeah, widely in the media earlier in the year. I think it was CarTell who were offering a free check for this at the time.

You've little or no comeback on a private purchase. Yes, you could "go legal" if there is an issue, but if someone is prepared to sell a write off that might kill someone, I doubt they'll be the kind of person who will be too worried if you come looking for your money back.

In terms of selling your own car first, that comes down to whether or not you can survive a few days/weeks with no car and cash flow management.

Personally, I think it's easier and you'll have more peace of mind dealing with a main dealer

Back