Buying a ring in Antwerp with cash

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paulsgirl

Hi,

We're off to Antwerp in January to buy the engagement ring. I've seen people posting here saying they paid in cash and got a better deal. I'm just wondering did they actually carry for example €6K in notes? Just seems a little scarey to be walking around with that much cash or more in your pocket and we're wondering what way to carry it over.

I don't know the answer but I certainly would never carry abroad an amount as high as €6k. As well as the security risks, the risk of being subjected to a anti-money laundering probe would scare me.

Yes went with that sort of cash alright its not as big as you would think (wish!) when in 50's and 100 notes.

Allowed to move 10K through EU countries i think without issues. Is that not true?

Split it between yourself and herself so one person doesn't have it all.

Once there put it in the save in the hotel room.

Sorted!

Yeah - my husband went over with about €8k in cash. He did bring a friend though! Call him a body guard!

As the previous poster said, split it between the two of ye. Have your homework done before you go: i.e. what 4-5 jewellers you plan to visit etc and just have your wits about you!:cool:

Best of luck!

We went with a load of cash on us too - spread out in a million pockets etc. You have much more bargaining power.
Do your homework before you go on the 4 C's. Make appointments to see recognised jewellers and let them know the type of diamond you are thinking of, so that they can have it ready for you.
Best of luck!

Fwiw, do engagement rings still cost €6k? How long will those prices last?

According to the FT yesterday, many luxury goods shops in London are discounting heavily but are reluctant to publicise their discounts - which means presumably that some suckers are still paying full retail prices.

You may do very well by shopping around, nearer to home.

Hi,

Is Antwerp good for remounting a three diamond engagement ring for instance? Would it be done in a day or two does anyone know? I have knocked a stone out of mine and am a bit unsure where to have it repaired.

Any suggestions here either would be appreciated. I am a bit wary about going to a small local jeweller as the ring will be sent away for a few weeks. Thanks.

what is the advantage to a shop owner by getting a big bag of cash compared to getting it transferred directly to their bank account?

Hi,

Is Antwerp good for remounting a three diamond engagement ring for instance? Would it be done in a day or two does anyone know? I have knocked a stone out of mine and am a bit unsure where to have it repaired.

Any suggestions here either would be appreciated. I am a bit wary about going to a small local jeweller as the ring will be sent away for a few weeks. Thanks.

Hi Armada,

Just back from Antwerp and you'd be better off emailing a photo of your ring to a jewellers and discussing it before going. We thought we'd have my ring in a day and now it won't be made for two weeks! Better off sorting it out before you go. I can give you the name of the jeweller we went to (a very reputable one and a member of Adja Association) if you want it. Just PM me...

i just have to write this , because its so obvious , but noone seems to think of it , there are loads of Irish diamond jewellery manufactures ( not retailers ) who will sell at internationaly competative prices , because they make it themselves and have lower overheads than retailers ,they do very little if no advertising and leave all the main stream to the retailers. you can visit directly into their workshops and see all the work in progress . You have the same consumer protection as retail .
Before you ask , yes i am a jewellery manufacturer but i am not looking for business here i want to stay anonymous ! i do deal in cash aswell or drafts or transfers because cheques are only a promise of payment and can bounce . But however i always give diamond certificates , insurance valuation letters and a VAT receipt .
I just find it hard to hear about cash leaving our economey when if you real look you will find genuine irish manufactures who sell at wholesale prices , without having to fly to another country with 10k in your pocket . please dont PM me as i wish to stay Anonymous

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back