Buying a Rice Cooker

fizzelina

Hi, I want to buy a Rice Cooker so that I can cook rice flawlessly (I hope!) and be able to prepare it say before a dinner party and it stays good. I don't want one for mad money so any suggestions on reasonably priced rice cookers people have bought would be welcomed. Also how did you find them, perfect rice every time?? I know it's not hard to do in a pot but it saves time and hassle to use a rice cooker I am told. I might try one of the Asian supermarkets as well to see what ones they sell.

Hi fizzelina...firstly have never used a rice cooker and no NOTHING about them but just wondered have u ever tried cooking rice in the microwave? Cup of rice (rinsed to remove the starch). little more than a cup of water, maybe add a dash of turmeric for colouring, into a pot with a loosely covered lid, bang on for 9.5 to 10 mins. Remove lid carefully (steam can burn badly..from experience!) stir and perfect rice...every time. Then u dont have to find a space in the cupboard beside the juicer, smoothie maker, bread maker etc for the rice cooker!

I recently bought a cheap one from Argos (£24.99 down to £9.99) and it works a treat. Cookworks was the brand.

I would cook a lot of rice, and I usualyl had a 10% success rate. Usually came out waterlogged, gloopy or burnt.

This unit nearly does it to perfection, although the bit where it keeps heat under it to keep it warm can burn it very slightly, but if you stir it the odd time its fine.

Worth looking at.

Thanks for the suggestions guys. The OH got me a cheap one for €20 in Lidl (one left over from some promotion they did) and it worked a treat, threw in 2 cups of rice which had been sitting in water for 30 mins then rinsed, water up to the marker the instructions said, turned it on and nothing else to do until I served it an hour later, it had cooked and then auto went to heat mode and was perfect when served. Defo worth clearing some cupboard space for this buy. Plus the fact it was cheap means I don't mind only using it once a week or whatever.

I had the lidl one and found it quite adequate though it can overdo the rice on the bottom. Its OK if you like crunchy rice! But if you don't or if you will need to keep it warm for a while the trick is to slice a potato and put it on the bottom, then add the rice and water and cook in the usual way.

First thing with rice is to buy a good brand like Uncle Bens. Its expensive but the best. Its best to eat the wholegrain version IMHO.

I found the http://www.argos.ie/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Search?storeId=30001&catalogId=1500002451&langId=-1&searchTerms=Tefal+steamer (Tefal Steamer) to be great for cooking rice. Simply put the rice in the cooking dish, add the water and set the timer. It looks after itself but does create quite a bit of steam so best to place as near to the cooker head as is practical.

The steamer is great for doing a full dinner too. Potatoes on one level and maybe fish and veg on the other two. Healthy option too.

Back