Buying a new TV - help!

glasto

Our TV is dying, the screen keeps going yellow so I suspect its not long for this world. We've had it eight years, so time for a nice new one, especially since we're getting an xbox for xmas. I know nothing about tvs, all this plasma/lcd stuff confuses me! We are in no huge rush as we can borrow a 42" Sony left behind my a relation who has legged it to NZ, so we can wait for the sales. I hate huge tvs though - so I'm after a replacement at 32-37" (to be negotiated with husband :) ). We have a normal sized living room so I don't want to get a crick in my neck watching it. Would prefer to buy reasonable quality, but not too spendy - say €600 but could stretch to more. And whats all this HD/HD ready stuff about? And finally, should we buy it up North (we'll be up there visiting my family at Xmas)? Any help much appreciated

I'd recommend AV Forums as a good place to do some reading [broken link removed]

I had similar requirements and bought one of these recently and find it very good. [broken link removed]

Is the tv that was left behind a flat screen only a few inches front to back or a traditional big bit out the back CRT tv?

Don't be too worried about big tv's the flat screens take much less space and are less imposing than you might think.

If the left behind tv is a flat screen just use that to keep it warm.

Our TV is dying, the screen keeps going yellow so I suspect its not long for this world. We've had it eight years, so time for a nice new one, especially since we're getting an xbox for xmas. I no nothing about tvs, all this plasma/lcd stuff confuses me! We are in no huge rush as we can borrow a 42" Sony left behind my a relation who has legged it to NZ, so we can wait for the sales. I hate huge tvs though - so I'm after a replacement at 32-37" (to be negotiated with husband :) ). We have a normal sized living room so I don't want to get a crick in my neck watching it. Would prefer to buy reasonable quality, but not too spendy - say €600 but could stretch to more. And whats all this HD/HD ready stuff about? And finally, should we buy it up North (we'll be up there visiting my family at Xmas)? Any help much appreciated

I would not pay more than 400-500 euro for a 32 inch LCD TV.
You will get a brand name for this money --LG or Panasonic.
I would advise to stay away from plasma as they can be troublesome and cost a fortune to repair.
Your XBox will be HD so make sure that you get a TV with at least a second HD connection ,in case you have a HD DVD or decide to get Sky HD at any time.
Xtra Vision have great deals but if you are not in a hurry wait for the sales.

EDIT: Also check the viewing angle of the TV .Cheaper TVs(Non brand) sometimes are very hard to view unless you are directly in front of them--Hope this helps.
Best of luck with your purchase :)

Last edited:
Disagree about the Plasmas being more expensive to repair. Most Fflat screens are uneconomical to repair so it's a moot point.

The Panasonic G10 series (TXP32G10)is a cracker, btw.

Also disagree with the plasma comment, they are no more troublesome than LCDs at the same price point.

Anyway, it's immaterial in this case as the OP is looking for a 32-37" screen, so they'll be limited to LCD or the newer LED

the tv you have been referred to ticks ALL the boxes. It answers all your questions so is future proof. The xbox used HDMI and will output 1080p for the best possible picture. Same yourself hassle and as I say get the tv referred to.

Sony Bravia 32" LCD-TV KDL-32V5500Sony Bravia 32" LCD-TV KDL-32V5500

noah

I bought that Sony from Komplett.ie as well. Super TV, running X-Box, DVD recorder, SAT receiver and NTL digibox from it. No problems whatsoever. The sat is HD, and the HD channels are really so much sharper. It's also dead easy to set up, it does it all by itself really.... Bought brackets for about 60 euros in DID and it's nicely hanging on my wall...

Back