Buying a new house - site visits

Westbound

Hi

In reading various threads on the purchase of a new house, it seems that a good relationship with the builder/foreman is beneficial.

I have never bought a new home and am unsure as to what I should be doing in the course of the build - it is in a development.

For example, should I arrange a site visit on a regular basis to check progress? If so, how often would suffice (want to avoid been seen as a nusiance to the builder). The house is up to the roof and the frame is now being blocked. In fact it's all going up quite quickly. I think I should make a visit soon, as I want to make sure they are doing the interior as requested.

Any help is appreciated, as it's all new to me!

Hello Westbound,

I just purchased a new house this year and this was my experience. The builder will contact you so you can decide on things like tiles, kitchen, fireplace etc. This will be the first time you will visit the house. I don't think the builder would appreciate random calls or visits - plus they are not insured to have you anywhere near the site until the house it at snagging stage. Once the house is ready for snagging, you will have scheduled visits to prepare your first snag and then your second snag - other than that there isn't really a need for you to be there. If you let the builder do his job then you should find them pretty accommodating towards the end - especially when you need access to measure up etc.

Back