Buying a new car advice needed

Carnmore

What's the cheapest way to buy a new car- online car buyer, broker, dealer etc?

I've never bought a new car before so never had to choose optional extras - which extras are the most useful to have?

Cheapest way to buy will be dependant on a number of factors. I would choose what make, model and extras I wanted, price it up on line (most manufacturers have this option) and then ask as many dealerships that supplied the vehicles in your area to price up the same spec. If you are trading in a car you would be better off going directly to dealerships if you don't want the hassle of selling privately.

With regards extras, it is completely person dependant. What is important to you?. Spending money on interior additions would be my preference if I ever buy a new car. I don't see the attraction of paying a fortune for metallic paint, alloy wheels and unnecessary lighting extras.

Remember when you're buying will be someone else in a few years time, so have something that will sell on in the future. Some people will love to see a hitch, many won't, very, very, few won't want metallic paint so remember that as the car won't look too good without it, good tyres, cheapish tax, good fuel economy and a spare wheel. If you have a trade in you can try and trade it in yourself but you'll have a job getting what YOU think it's worth, i'd trade it against a new car with the dealer. A lot of people think that dealing with a big bundle of cash gives them a huge advantage, it means practically nothing and remember you won't have any dealers running after your business so don't be at all surprised at that. Good luck and tell us how you get on.

As above and, unless you're a brand snob, go for a make/model offering 5 or 7 year warranty, the option of free servicing or a €5,000 deposit for a trade in, 0% finance. KIA & Hyundai spring to mind.

As above and, unless you're a brand snob, go for a make/model offering 5 or 7 year warranty, the option of free servicing or a €5,000 deposit for a trade in, 0% finance. KIA & Hyundai spring to mind.

better still buy a 2nd-hand car that still has several years manufacturers warranty left. If you're concerned with "the cheapest way" why would you buy a new car?

OP said they wanted a New Car but just asking for peoples opinions on the cheapest way to get around it.

Mentioned above and its a very important - make sure it has a spare wheel unlike so many new cars these days. Colour is another important factor if you want to get a good price when trading it in. Unusual and particularly bright colours can be unpopular to some.

If you can afford it the Hyundai Tucson is a great seller and a lovely comfortable car.

How long is a piece of string?

If you are buying a new car, go to the licenced dealer for that car.

The extras will depend on what car you are buying. Some cars have certain features as standard and others are optional. You haven't given us any indication of what car you are thinking about or what price you are paying.

Things like Bluetooth, USB connection are essentials in today's cars. Heated seats are nice in the winter months. Do you want leather seats etc. The car dealer will try to sell you all the extras but you need to decide yourself what represents value to you and what you're not bothered about.

In terms of extras to avoid, if the lower models come with say 16" wheels, avoid the spec level that ups those to 18", in most cases that will ruin the ride quality, particularly on poor surfaces.

Thanks for the replies.

The car is the unfortunately named new Peugeot Rifter.

I'm looking at the 130bhp diesel version for towing and overall power. It has a 6 speed manual or 8 speed auto gearbox - the auto does appeal but am I correct in saying automatic gearboxes are unsuitable for towing?

Meant to say it would be bought and kept in the UK.

Has anyone used Carwow? The buyer chooses the car and spec then dealers bid for the order.

I just bought a new Hyundai i30 last week.
If I was to pass on any advice it would be to research how to buy a car in the UK and then apply it to Ireland.
Ive bought several new cars when living in the uk and everyone over there knows that the list price is far, far above the price you end up paying for a new car.

But in Ireland from talking to people they tend to think you might get €500 off the list price if you are lucky. They are getting robbed.

What I did was go in and get a price for cash. Dont do a trade in. Its just another tool for the dealer to mess with the price.
After I got the first cash price I rang around all the dealers and hammered every one of them down. Eventually i got as low as I could get and bought.
The final price I paid was just over 20% below the list price.

Never ever pay anywhere near list price. And laugh at them when they start talking about delivery and related prices. Just say you must be joking, ignore it and move on with the negotiation.

Thanks for the replies.

The car is the unfortunately named new Peugeot Rifter.

I'm looking at the 130bhp diesel version for towing and overall power. It has a 6 speed manual or 8 speed auto gearbox - the auto does appeal but am I correct in saying automatic gearboxes are unsuitable for towing?

Meant to say it would be bought and kept in the UK.

Has anyone used Carwow? The buyer chooses the car and spec then dealers bid for the order.

where did this idea that automatics were unsuitable - poor for towing come from ?

automatics are if anything better for toeing .

i would always go with an automatic if funds were available to do so .

I just bought a new Hyundai i30 last week.
If I was to pass on any advice it would be to research how to buy a car in the UK and then apply it to Ireland.
Ive bought several new cars when living in the uk and everyone over there knows that the list price is far, far above the price you end up paying for a new car.

But in Ireland from talking to people they tend to think you might get €500 off the list price if you are lucky. They are getting robbed.

What I did was go in and get a price for cash. Dont do a trade in. Its just another tool for the dealer to mess with the price.
After I got the first cash price I rang around all the dealers and hammered every one of them down. Eventually i got as low as I could get and bought.
The final price I paid was just over 20% below the list price.

Never ever pay anywhere near list price. And laugh at them when they start talking about delivery and related prices. Just say you must be joking, ignore it and move on with the negotiation.

I'd love to know where you got 20% off the list price and also your assumption that there's no related costs, eg, metallic paint, delivery, etc? As for trade in, you might get more selling private in theory, but in practice it very seldom results in a positive outcome. If anyone thinks car dealers have 20% plus out of selling new cars then they're living in Cuckoo land.

i know what kind of margins some of the premium marques work off in ireland (on the retail side), its an awful lot less than the 20% discount being mentioned above...

I'd love to know where you got 20% off the list price and also your assumption that there's no related costs, eg, metallic paint, delivery, etc? As for trade in, you might get more selling private in theory, but in practice it very seldom results in a positive outcome. If anyone thinks car dealers have 20% plus out of selling new cars then they're living in Cuckoo land.

Delivery and related does not include metallic paint. It includes anything they use to tack on unreasonable charges.
If you don't quote the charges in the up front price then get lost.
It's peolle assuming there is no play room who get ripped off.
Bargain hard or pay the price as my old man used to say.
And if I were you I would look very hard at the list price before you pay it when you are buying new again.

Check out the best UK price if the car new, which is a lot easier here. then subtract their taxes to get the base price. Work out the Irish rip off taxes on that and add them and you will get an idea where you will end up.

Like I said, getting 20% off the list price of a new car from a dealer just won't happen unless the dealer is going out of business and has to get rid of a vehicle. There's nothing remotely near that that mark up on cars for dealers and in all honesty it's the trade in that might make them a few bob, because of quotas, monthly and yearly targets and cash layout. A franchise to sell new cars for any good branded cars doesn't come easy or cheap. I know nothing about importing from the UK, know too many people who have been caught with these imports. As for the Irish rip off taxes compared to the British ones? That has nothing to do with margins. If everyone in Ireland bought what they wanted in GB because of their tax system, there wouldn't be too many jobs in this country, or anything else either. It doesn't take Paddy long to look for a wage increase, yet he wants to buy everything in another country.

Back