Buying a house with a parent

Nkegj1

My husband and I are looking at buying a house with my mother. We have found a house with a separate building (for my mother) which we are all happy with.

My mother can buy her part outright, however my husband and I can’t get a mortgage with someone else having an interest in the house.

The house and separate building are being sold as one but can we buy them separately?

Physically they are separate buildings so I think they could be separated, with shared access (if that’s an option??).

If they can be bought separately, would this process be very costly?

Or can my mother buy a right of residence and not be in the deeds?

Open to suggestions!

I’d appreciate any advice

My husband and I are looking at buying a house with my mother. We have found a house with a separate building (for my mother) which we are all happy with.

Ensure the separate building has planning and is in full compliance before you go too far. Your solicitor and bank will check on this anyway

The house and separate building are being sold as one but can we buy them separately?

Depends on the location and setting as to whether the local authority would allow this. Check the planning on the second building to see if there are any restrictions attached. Most that I have seen in the Dublin area have conditions attached that any secondary building must be lived in by direct relations, and the folio must never be split into two separate properties. With more space though, and full separation of utilities, such a separation is possible via the planning process.

Back