Buying a House in Bree, Co. Wexford

Jac1523

Hi there!

We are in the process of buying a house in rural Ireland, specifically in Bree, Co. Wexford; we found Co. Wexford could be very interesting for us due to its connection to Dublin. We are a family with kids under 5 years old with previous experience living in the countryside, but this time I would like to get more info about Bree area, to me it looked peaceful and quite which we loved that part, but not sure about other safety aspects, things to do in the area... Also, how are Wexford and Enniscorthy in general for leisure activities, schools and job opportunities?
I have done online research but would appreciate any thoughts from other too.

Many thanks!!

That's a very specific area to be asking about, a village of 200 people.

There are both 'Wexford' and 'Enniscorthy' forums on Boards.ie where you might get some responses, although neither are very active.

Wexford is a larger regional town, so lots of sports and leisure options. A good variety of schools, but like most growing towns they are over subscribed. Work opportunities depend on skillset, but as with any regional area be prepared for a shock with salaries compared to Dublin (it's offset by a lower cost of living).

Many thanks for your answers!! I will have a look at the other forums :)
Yes, we saw the Bree Hill walking trail, that was great.
Enjoy your Sunday, thanks again!

Are you referring to the connection to Dublin from a perspective of commuting? I don't think it is viable to commute daily as with traffic you are looking at 2-3hrs each way. Bree is probably a 1hr50-2hr10m drive from Dublin on a weekend with light traffic.

I would check Broadband connection as I know another village nearby that has poor broadband connectivity and rural broadband access is not great.

I don't know Bree, but know another slightly larger village closeby and there isn't a great deal to do in the village itself. Enniscorthy is going through a relatively tough time with low footfall and shops closing. I've always liked Wexford town and there are some nice restaurants, decent shopping etc.

Wexford itself is a beautiful county, especially in the summer with great beaches and outdoor activities.

Are you referring to the connection to Dublin from a perspective of commuting? I don't think it is viable to commute daily as with traffic you are looking at 2-3hrs each way. Bree is probably a 1hr50-2hr10m drive from Dublin on a weekend with light traffic.

I would check Broadband connection as I know another village nearby that has poor broadband connectivity and rural broadband access is not great.

I don't know Bree, but know another slightly larger village closeby and there isn't a great deal to do in the village itself. Enniscorthy is going through a relatively tough time with low footfall and shops closing. I've always liked Wexford town and there are some nice restaurants, decent shopping etc.

Wexford itself is a beautiful county, especially in the summer with great beaches and outdoor activities.

Thanks. Definitely the wifi connection is now even more important. I appreciate your feedback about the other towns :)

bree is quiet and not bad as rural villages go, enniscorthy is your local town, its not the best imo, wexford isnt bad as a town.

check wifi as other posters have said.

Bree to ballsbridge is 1hr 30 or a little less in current traffic but a lot more id wager outside of that.

Back