Buying a burial plot in advance - what happens if the graveyard goes bust?

Glencarraig

My wife and I are considering purchasing a buriel plot in a privately owned and run cemetery which is in no way cheap. I have some concerns about handing over a large sum of money to a private company which like any company could run into financial difficulties. I have been unable to find out if such companies are obliged to lodge any kind of bond or maintain sufficient funds for the continual upkeep and operation of the cemetery.. I have established that although I will have a deed showing that I have the right to use the plot I do not actually own the land on which the plot is located nor could I "sell it on" to a 3rd party. It could however be sold back to the private company should my circumstances change (lost at sea or similar mishaps) The use would pass to my children as per my will. My question is, is there any advice available as to where I stand should the owners of the private company fall into financial trouble and ceased to trade, what happens to my pre purchased plot?

Not sure I can answer your question, but where is this graveyard?

I thought all burial grounds in Ireland were managed by Co.Council? Maybe some older ones are managed by local parish, but local Co.Co. in the main?

My question is, is there any advice available as to where I stand should the owners of the private company fall into financial trouble and ceased to trade, what happens to my pre purchased plot?
I don’t know the answer to your question but would have similar concerns. I would also have concerns about what could happen to the graveyard in the many years after my passing.

Kilternan pre-purchased plots are available from €8,950, http://kilternancemetery.ie/about/

On a related issue, I knew a person who prepaid their funeral. When the time came, the undertaker had retired and had sold the business to another. The new owners would not honour the purchase saying they did not take over any pre-purchased funerals. A funeral with a different undertaker had to be paid for again.

I don’t know the answer to your question but would have similar concerns. I would also have concerns about what could happen to the graveyard in the many years after my passing.

Kilternan pre-purchased plots are available from €8,950, http://kilternancemetery.ie/about/

On a related issue, I knew a person who prepaid their funeral. When the time came, the undertaker had retired and had sold the business to another. The new owners would not honour the purchase saying they did not take over any pre-purchased funerals. A funeral with a different undertaker had to be paid for again.
I'm surprised that never made it to the papers.

Sorry for the delay in replying and thanks to all who have. The cemetery in question is Kilternan, the company has three directors with one share each with a value of €1. I know this is the minimum legal requirement but I have also read of a dispute between the company and a former employee and it doesnt seem to have been handled very well. The attitude of the "salesman" didnt impress me at all but my wife is very anxious to get this sorted.

Is that graveyard for cremated remains?
It caters for both, urns can be placed in graves or in a wall.
Not sure I can answer your question, but where is this graveyard?

I thought all burial grounds in Ireland were managed by Co.Council? Maybe some older ones are managed by local parish, but local Co.Co. in the main?
Its privately owned, Kilternan Cemetery Park

The owners are certainly not short of a few bob.

Michael Cotter of park developments and Tim Crowley who has extensive land and property interests.

Like @Glencarraig, my wife is keen to talk to them, but I fear that our money could disappear well before our time above ground is up. It's over 6 months since the last post. Does anyone have an update since then?

Hi sorry to disturb you .did you find the answers to your questions as we are considering buying a large plot there .we to would have the same concerns , and would appreciate your input.

If they go bust I suspect it'd be dead money.
In reply to the OP:
Even with Co Council operated burial grounds, you never own the plot. You buy the right to burial in that plot . You can never sell it on to a third party. You can only sell it back to the Co. Council for the price you paid for it,in the event of your changing your mind.
Buying a plot in advance from a private company is very risky . If ownership of the company changes what obliges the new owner to honour existing commitments?
Record keeping would also have to be meticulous, something that can’t be guaranteed beyond existing company staff.

Does anyone have answers to the questions raised earlier about the security of amounts paid in advance to Kilternan Cemetery?

Back