Buying a 2003 320D

regvw

Hi All,
I have decided to buy a 2003 BMW 320D.

Now does anyone know what these are like second hand, the one I buy will have around 120,000 miles and will be the 320D SE model.

I hear that the turbo can be a problem and that the suspension gets hammered on bad roads if they are running 18" wheels, so I think I will stick to one with its original 16" wheels.

Is there other things I should be worried about or what should i look out for viewing the car.

Thanks
Reg

I bought a 2003 320D in 2007 with 36k miles on the clock. Theturbo went a few weeks ago with 115k miles on the clock. It cost me €700 to get a reconditioned one. It seems the turbo goes in 2003 models.

Also, you could have problems with breathable filter as there were problems with this in 2003 model as well. And dont forget parts are expensive.

Other than that they are a great car!!!!!

They don't call it a Bee-Em-Trouble-You for nothing:)

Thanks Patrick, When you were getting the car serviced did you get the fllter changed on the turbo in the past, this sems to be the reason they go I hear.

Would just like to know so I can be sure that changing the filter really is teh problem

Thanks
Reg

yep. the 1st thing I did when I boughtthe car was to get the filter changed and it has been changed since. I was surprised that the turbo went as I always used the correct oil etc as I was aware of the turbo problems in BMW's.

disapointing that the turbo went and the filter changed regurlarly, will try and buy a 03 only if turbo was changed otherwise mighty try and get a 04

Yes I agree, Purple, that would be just looking for trouble, I also stay away from the DL reg like the plague.

during the summer purchased a 2006 BMW 320D black after driving year old Kias for the last three years the reaction to the car from people is AMAZING...Can't go anywhere but people mention the car...only problem iv had so far is the back seat cant be lowered......

check out bmw-driver.net, its a site for irish bmw drivers and you can ask about whats the best model out there for our irish roads or just for looking good(e34 m5's rock) ;-)

Back