Buying 1 year ahead?

S

SakisP

Hello, all. Obviously this question will also be put to my solicitor tomorrow, but I thought the collective wisdom of this great forum could be faster and/or more correct ;)

My wife and I are planning to reserve a new apartment in a development still under construction in Lucan, using a refundable booking deposit. The unit we are reserving won't be ready until Q1 2006. When we approached our local estate agent for advice on how to proceed with selling our current apartment, we were surprised to hear them warn us that our solicitor might have a problem allowing us to sign the new place contract, as we would not be able to find anyone willing to sale-agree our current place and wait for almost a year until we move out... Could anyone try to elaborate a bit on the thinking behind this warning? I mean, they told us the place is definitely and easily sale-able - unlike last year, it would attract more first-time buyers as there is no stamp duty for them to pay on it now...

The other issue that bothers me is that, in such situations where you are forced to buy so far ahead or lose the availability, is the only way out selling early, renting until you move in and, thus, eat into your budget that pays for your new place?...

All feedback is welcome!

Back