Buyer trying to negotiate based on risk that doesn't exist

pennywise

Hi

We went sale agreed on our apartment 10 weeks ago. Our buyer seemed to be moving on well with the process, until 2 weeks ago. She requested to get some green cert for pyrite, which had been highlighted in the survey (survey was done early February). We provided these. Then she requested one for the common area, which we also provided.
Today, our estate agent called to see if we were willing to negotiate a price reduction as the buyer felt she was taking a risk regarding the pyrite. I don't get it, we have green certs covering the whole building, and there has never been any issue with the building. Two apartments sold recently without problem. And why ask only now?

If she pulls out now, we will have to start again from scratch and that will jeopardise our own purchase, our tracker transfer, and increase the number of months we are paying rent (we moved to facilitate the transition). On the other hand, I don't want to open the door to negotiation on a problem that doesn't exist

Oooh, what to do???

Sorry, I should be more specific... The survey highlighted that there could be a risk of pyrite (a standard it seems with new estates in the area), not that there were signs of it.

If they were genuinely worried about pyrite, they wouldn't touch it. They know you need to close the sale, and trying to pull a fast one.

You have to be willing to immediately put it back in the market if you don't want to negotiate. Or at least ready to say that's what you're going to do.

Thanks RedOnion, that's exactly what I told the EA, who, in her credit had already told the buyer that she was already getting a fair price for it and certs had been provided.

Have you exchanged contracts?

If not, you should instruct your agent to return their deposit and put the property back on the market unless the buyers confirm that they are willing to proceed at the agreed price within a reasonable period.

Thanks. No contracts exchanged yet. We will put it back on the market immediately unless the buyer proceeds with the purchase. We've wasted enough time and we feel this is an unreasonable demand

We've wasted enough time and we feel this is an unreasonable demand
That's the right approach IMO.

One thing I've learned with age is to always assume the best of people but to move quickly as soon as you start to doubt their bona fides.

I know it mucks up your plans but if you start to renegotiate the deal without a change in facts where do you stop? €5k? €10k? €50k?

The world is full of chancers - don't entertain them. Move on.

+1 it seems those that took the time to reply are all on the same page on this query, no need to phone a friend, ask the audience is working just fine....

Back