Buy to Let Investors are Suffering Triple Whammy! Article www.independent.ie

I reckon you're wasting your time anyway at this racket boys, I don't know how any of you think you can make money in a market, housing recession or no housing recession, where the government is giving away houses and apartments for free/subsidised rate across the fence!

The pointlessness reminds me of that song - Anyone know it - 'Buildin up and tearin England down'!

I think you really do have to take a long term view on property, the people who are getting their fingers burned are those who couldn't really afford the investment in the first place and extended themselves beyond what is sensible. A little history - I bought my first house in Dublin in for 10,495 pounds in 1975, they now sell for 595,000 euro. My second for 41,500 pounds in 1987, it's now worth 1.2 million. I bought a house in Spain in 1999 for 53,000 pounds it's now worth 220.000 euro. I part own a house bought for 1999 for 120,000 pounds now worth 425,000 euro. As you can see from the above, all have been good investments in that they certainly exceed inflation figures and what could be obtained by depositing that amount in a bank. Just how good an investment they are depends on where they are and how desirable a house type they are. I now intend to buy in Orlando, Florida where it is possible to buy a 4 bedroom, 3 bathroom house with a private pool for approx 210,000 euro. The same house would have sold for 350,000 euros 18 months ago, the only reason that this investment makes sense is because I do not need a mortgage. For a cash buyer it's a steal but it is not a good investment for anyone who needs a mortgage. Caveat emptor!

Re: Buy to Let Investors are Suffering Triple Whammy! Atticle www.independent.ie

no,I said property beats inflation in any 5-10 year period.

Now why would you keep saying something that is demonstrably untrue?

The total number of properties for rent on Daft has almost reached 15,000 now! With immigrants returning to their home countries, who is going to rent these out? Have a look at these graphs.

http://daftwatch.atspace.com/

The ECB are also likely to increase interest rates by 0.25% next week.

before talking about whether rent covers mortgage you need to know what type of mortgage it is-if its a 25 year with interest and capital repayments and the rent covers 80% of monthly mortgage repayments,then you're doing ok.
simple formula-if yield plus capital appreciation is more than interest then generally you're in profit-inflation doesn't really matter

Re: Buy to Let Investors are Suffering Triple Whammy! Atticle www.independent.ie

the ecb said that they may increase interest rates on their next meeting.

ECB raised rates this afternoon. Banks "may" pass on the increase to their customers.

ECB raised rates this afternoon. Banks "may" pass on the increase to their customers.
They will pass it on for ECB tracker mortgages. They most likely will pass it on for variable rate customers and new rates. They will probably reflect this in their fixed rates. They may pass it on to their saving customers. What's the surprise?

They will pass it on for ECB tracker mortgages. They most likely will pass it on for variable rate customers and new rates. They will probably reflect this in their fixed rates. They may pass it on to their saving customers. What's the surprise?

Back on the 11th of last month when Howitzer said ECB will raise rates, Barryl corrected him and said the ECB may raise rates.
I suspect Howitzer is putting closure on that particular exchange and having some fun with the word 'may'

This is getting worse with increasing numbers of properties for rent and for sale.

The number of properties for rent on Daft has now exceeds 16K:
http://www.daft.ie/searchrental.daft?s%5Bcc_id%5D=&search=1&x=11&y=9

The number of properties for sale on Daft is 76.7K:
http://www.daft.ie/searchsale.daft?s%5Bcc_id%5D=&search=1&x=3&y=7

Have a look at some of the graphs on this site:
http://daftwatch.atspace.com/

You know what they say about lies, damned lies and statistics.

You know what they say about lies, damned lies and statistics.

Not queit sure what you mean by this silly comment. These are the numbers from the Daft website. If anything they are understated, because for example, where a developer has large numbers of houses for sale in one development there is usually only one advert on Daft!

Back