Buy goods in NI VAT treatment

Frank

I am a private punter

I found a Solar battery supplier in down doing a Dyness battery for offgridkit.ie

SO battery is chaepaer than the next best in ROI what a suprise even with delivery

€1800 in Tullow v €1520 delivered from down both prices include VAT for a 3.6kwh dyness battery
not to be sniffed at.

VAT being charged at 20%

Can I buy VAT, I don't have a VAT number so I doubt it

Just thought would ask as the Vat free price is better than the inclusive price.

I had a look at revenue.ie, still not that clear.

Leo maybe I wasn't clear both prices include VAT albeit NI Vat is 20%

So if I could buy in NI VAT free it make an even bigger difference.

The full price in euro incl. delivery and VAT @ 23% is €1,523.90 based on the web-site you gave, offgridkit.ie.

Unless you're registered for VAT, how do you avoid paying it or reclaiming it if you pay?

Yeah that's what I thought, Red.

Good to know I have options once the money tree recovers

I think the 1500 might work for me, I can install myself.

Although surprised, I am of course not surprised by the 300 quid difference. Shipping to the Island obviously isn't the difference.

Although surprised, I am of course not surprised by the 300 quid difference. Shipping to the Island obviously isn't the difference.

For a range of reasons, it's significantly dearer to run a business in the South. Many of the factors behind that aren't the fault of the business.

Check details of any warranty eligibility issues if purchasing from NI, also, as above, be prepared to pay the Irish VAT rate if having it shipped.

Every airport I go through seem to have a "claim your tax back" desk. Is this something the OP could avail of in the UK?

Also I'm confused, it the VAT, Irish VAT or UK VAT?
If Irish VAT the above suggestion won't work.

Northern Ireland is not in the UK for vat purposes under the Brexit agreement when looking at personal purchases.

You can drive up or have them deliver to you at the price quoted including UK vat.

Price difference is most likely the advantage of the northern Ireland company buying from a UK distributor who has better pricing due to far far higher volumes in a market of 60million

The VAT treatment of goods from NI is same as the goods purchased from any other European countries after Brexit. Since you are a private customer in Ireland and get it delivered to South, based on distance selling rule, 23% irish VAT should be applied. If you drive up and buy the battery, they shall charge you UK VAT.

Reactions: Leo
Every airport I go through seem to have a "claim your tax back" desk. Is this something the OP could avail of in the UK?
The UK ended that scheme in 2021, talks to reintroduce it seemed to be pretty advanced last year including being announced in the budget, but they did another u-turn and it's not coming back.

Back