Butterflies on Butterfly Tree

Arabella

Last Sunday I counted over 20 butterflies on my Butterfly Bush. Today I was down the country and saw a load more on a similiar tree. Are they attracted to the flowers because of the colour - lilac - or is the tree host to a better type of food. I also remember seeing lots of butterflies examining purple/lilac thistles in a bog.

I presume it's buddleia davidii - I think the attractiveness is to do with the shape of the tiny flowers - perfectly suited to a butterfly's way of feeding.

You are spot on Sherman. Spoke to a horticulturist friend last night and he mailed me dozens of beautiful photos of the various hues. As I look out now (and the sky is overcast with occasional drops) there are possibly ten flying around in their erratic flight pattern. A beauty to behold :)

Every garden should have buddleia. A marvellous plant - known as the Butterfly Bush. Different varieties have different colour flowers. Awesome.

I've had similar numbers visiting a white buddleia in my garden but only recognised 4 multi-coloured species, small Tortoiseshell, Painted Lady, Peacock and Red Admiral and at least one white variety. The flowers have just about died off this week.

Cut off the dead flower heads, and you should get a second flush of flowers.

Unfortunately I've only seen four butterflies at one go on my tree this year. I guess the cold winter did for them. Likewise very few wasps and honeybees. The flowers have now largely disappeared but I'm seeing a few new ones sprouting. This time last year the tree was just a mass of lilac. Have a friend in France where winter temps often get to -15C and she has no problem. What is going on?

Did you prune the tree in early spring ? If you prune it right down to around 3ft you should get masses of flowers and it will grow rapidly back to the height it was at before pruning.

Yes I did Molly and I thought it would never grow back to it's height, but it took off like a rocket. Since then have been reading up on it. Next year I hope to grow some plant or tree that attracts birds.

Back