Business owed 7k by 1 debtor - how to collect?

kerrymaid

Hi there, I hope i have posted this in the correct forum, please move this post to another if appropriate.

My husband is self employed, and is currently owed over 7k by one business. This debtor has given a lot of work to my husbands business over a period of time. However, 7k is a huge amount of money to be owed and my husband is being messed about by this individual when it comes to being paid. My husband is not a confrontational person (i'm putting it mildly here) & is sticking his head in the sand.

Would anyone have any guidelines or advice on how best to approach this - i feel i cannot say anything at the moment as i am extremely stressed.

Thanks for reading this.

your husband doesnt need to br confrontational. From experience he needs to be persistant and become a nuisance to this person. They will get fed up and should pay up. I have been owed similiar amounts and collected them all. Stick with it

Ye same advice as above, stick with it and keep sticking with it.

your husband doesnt need to br confrontational. From experience he needs to be persistant and become a nuisance to this person. They will get fed up and should pay up. I have been owed similiar amounts and collected them all. Stick with it
rubbish .she's already said he's not the type. TALK to a GOOD solicitor ASAP

Hi Kerrymaid.
I don't know if your husband got his money yet. If he is not good at collecting money then maybe an option would be for you yourself to go looking for the 7k. I've heard of this approach working.
Or approach the customers wife about the money.
Also think about accepting payment in instalments if you can't get it all together.
Also I accepted payment from a financially unresponsive customer in product rather than cash, with the view of selling the stock to get my money.

Debt collect

Do you believe the debtor can pay?
If so warm them that at x date you will start to become a nuisance which wont suit either of you.

I know of a business that succeeded in collecting debts by contacting the wife and explaining that the neighbors would be informed, as would the local hairdresser, restaurants and sports clubs etc. That should put pressure on to pay.

Ps in my opinion you need to make noise as soon as possible before you find yourself down the list of people owed money. Then it will be too late. No-one wants to have to do the above but I'd be confident that the suggestion ,and the belief that you would follow through,would in most cases be enough

In Spain they have a great solution, el cobredor del frac, a butler type character in top hat and tails simply follows you everywhere so that everyone knows that you owe a debt

Last edited:
Back