Business Mileage extra insurance cost who pays?

Frank

My wife will use the car on occasion in work for meetings.

I asked the insurance company there is an payment for limited business use.

In the company I work in the extra premium can be claimed as an expense.

Although I can't find anything to suggest this on revenue.ie

What is the norm out there?

Is this part of the mileage rate?

Should the employer pay this expense?

Just a warning. Is it her car or your car? Because if its your car and your policy they won't allow her business use. She would have to be the main user of the vehicle.

I talked to the insurance and they put on the limited business use for OH no problem bar the extra few quid.

So that is paid and the disk is in the car.

Anyway we are married so whats mine is hers and what's hers is her own :)

Iv Class II as I carry little people as part of my business...I must own the car and Class II only applies to me ie my named driver can only use my car domestically.

Is your wife driving to and from these meetings on her own? Or is she giving lifts to work mates unpaid...no need for extra cover then...however if she carrying passengers as part of her paid contact then yes.

Watch insurance companies as they'll sell you anything and often wrong. I always pop into few brokers and see how they see things.

I previously had 6 mths maternity with hse teaching and they paid my extra cover.

AFAIR (I haven't used it in a while) the situation in my company is that you sort out your insurance, and mileage is designed to cover the cost.

I was thinking state and semi state will pay private companies not so much.

She goes to meetings on her own most times or may bring a colleague the odd time, only once or twice a month max.

I was very clear with the insurance co, he suggested they could do class 1 with limited business use for her.

I would have thought mileage covers ware and tear and fuel
otherwise depending on the extra amount the first couple of hundred km's are to pay for insurance alone.

In my experience, where an employer pays a mileage rate for business travel, the employee pays the extra insurance premium. The employer will also IME, request that the employee signs a form indemnifying the employer against any and all claims for accident or injury incurred while driving for business purposes. Be very careful ferrying passengers / colleagues to and from meetings. Clarify with employer if this is allowed.

request that the employee signs a form indemnifying the employer against any and all claims for accident or injury incurred while driving for business purposes.
That sounds a little officious and maybe confrontational. Why not just ask them if their insurance covers other employees? Do it in an email so there's a written record. That's as good as a form and avoids any impression that you are being legalistic. If their insurance doesn't cover it then ask what you should do about insurance cover for other employees. Then they have to offer a solution.

Just a warning. Is it her car or your car? Because if its your car and your policy they won't allow her business use. She would have to be the main user of the vehicle.
Not true - some companies (123.ie, FBD) will allow a named driver to do occasional business mileage.

Back