Business Management Course

C

Curious

I was looking at doing the Business Management Course from Kilroys college (web based homestudy course). Has anyone done any courses from them and if so are they any good?? Do employers recognise them as decent qualifiactions or are they regarded as a nice thing to do but not something that would be likely to get you a job??!! Any input would be appreciated. The course costs 595 euro so I was just wanting to know if it would be worth the money really.

Don't know anything about Kilroys but I would want my qualification to be validated by an external authority like [broken link removed] (the 'old' NCEA). If this is so, then, in theory, your qualification is the same as one from an IT etc.

Some employers might snub you because you didn't go to the 'right school' but some might applaud you for your extra hard work & perserverance.

Sluice

Hi Curious,

I don't know much about Kilroys college, although I've heard good things about them.

I am doing a business course through DCU (OSCAIL). Almost all students were unhappy with the web based format, as it either adds to the cost if you're online every night, or is just too awkward to get proper communications across.

We found that the tutorials were excellent, and really helped, where we all met face to face in a classroom. The Q&A at a tutorial is far better than any web based system. The web based thing that we had was barely better than a textbook with multiple choice Qs. I would liken the whole course to getting leaving cert books, and studying for it without a teacher.

You could check with the college if the course is accredited by any institutions etc., as that will give a good idea as to how recognised it is / what your job chances are afterwards. Also, you could check if Kilroys have a careers officer, who will place graduates with employers. If they don't, then it might mean that there are limited opportunities to be gained from the course, aside from generally improving your skills.

I am in 3rd year out of 3 in OSCAIL. I was going to quit it this year because I don't think it will really benefit me, but I decided that I would be better off finishing and getting whatever little benefit I might get, as opposed to quitting and getting nothing.

Beware also that it will probably take up huge chunks of your time - e.g. two evenings a week, and a Saturday or Sunday. 8o

Do employers recognise them as decent qualifiactions or are they regarded as a nice thing to do but not something that would be likely to get you a job??!!

I would very much doubt that any employer would pay much regard for a business management course. A prospective employer looks primarily at experience and attitude. If you don't have them, a part-time course isn't going to do you much good. If you do have them, then you don't need a part-time course.

Brendan

Back