Business incubation/enterprise centres

Po' Boy

Hi all

I'm about to start a very small business, just myself and one other person for now. we're looking for a small office either near to or in Dublin city centre (that will house 3-4 people max, but 2-3 is fine too).
I've searched these forums and found an old post from someone talking about enterprise centres and incubation centres - can anyone explain how these work? I've called them but I'm still waiting for callbacks.
Do you need to work in a specific industry sector? What kind of criteria do you need to meet and is there a time limit on how long you can stay there? Pretty much any info or advice would be appreciated. Also if anyone knows any centres other than the following - Guinness Enterprise, PDC, Spade Enterprise, Dominick St, Brunswick St. that would be great. I know DCU and UCD have them but I think they're more technology-focused and my business doesn't really have any technology except one crap PC, which I don't think counts!
Thanks a million.

Although this is related, I doubt that it will be of immediate use to you. I have recently been looking into setting up something like this, but it will probably be a pipe dream for a while longer.

What I would like to know is what exactly you would be looking for from a service like this? I was thinking something along the lines of a low cost setup, providing office space on a per cube basis, with phone line, basic PC with internet access and IT support, and possibly some sort of communal space with coffee/tea etc and some bookable conference rooms where "tenants" could arrange to have business meetings etc. I came across www.regus.ie , but I dont know how good they are. They appear to be a multi-national operation offering a Premium service, but I would imagine that costs would be quite high, looking at what they offer. In comparison, what I was looking at doing would be at the lower end of the scale, providing office facilities one or two steps above a home office setup. Clients would rent one or more cubes on a month to month basis until they had grown enough to move out to something a bit more glamorous.

As I said though, all this is still in my imagination. The DCU and UCD offerings you mentioned are more technology oriented, and Regus seem to want to provide temporary office space to larger clients, so what kind of service do you see yourself needing? Also, I'm not positive but maybe the UCD and DCU guys take you under their wing if they believe you will make it, and then take a percentage of your profits. If this is so, I imagine there would be stiff competition for spaces there.

Cheers,
BadBoy

Hi Bad Boy
From my own perspective, I think your idea is a really good one. I know a lot of people that would be interested in something like that - mainly graphic designers and stuff that would usually work from home. From your own perspective though I'm not sure how you'd make a lot of money from it. The whole reason I'm interested in these places is because I can't afford to pay a decent rate for a standard office rental and I don't want to work from home because of the business I'm in - it wouldn't look great.

I think the type of people you're pitching at would be quite tight on funds so I'm not sure you'd make money, but I'm sure you don't need my advice on that one!

To answer your question, what I'd be looking for is pretty much what you've specified. Personally, I'd actually like a small room to fit two or three desks in, so I would try to allow for that too if you could - most people would be happy with a cubicle, but some will want extra space so if you had that option it could work. But generally just a desk & chair, a phone, basic storage, fax, copying and printing facilities, I'd expect to supply my own computers and pay for my own line rental, broadband and phone calls - I think if you include these things you could end up pricing yourself out of the market. In terms of the communal facilities, I presume some sort of basic kitchen action, maybe access to secretarial services if you want them (but I understand you pay extra for those at all enterprise centres), access to techie support (same deal I'd say) and access to a board room/meeting room if I have any visitors. I've seen those Regus offices and they're great but they're really expensive and not what I need at this stage. Personally, I think the Guinness Enterprise Centre would be great.
Sorry if that was rambling, hope it's of use!
Thanks.

BadBoy said:
Although this is related, I doubt that it will be of immediate use to you. I have recently been looking into setting up something like this, but it will probably be a pipe dream for a while longer.

What I would like to know is what exactly you would be looking for from a service like this? I was thinking something along the lines of a low cost setup, providing office space on a per cube basis, with phone line, basic PC with internet access and IT support, and possibly some sort of communal space with coffee/tea etc and some bookable conference rooms where "tenants" could arrange to have business meetings etc. I came across www.regus.ie , but I dont know how good they are. They appear to be a multi-national operation offering a Premium service, but I would imagine that costs would be quite high, looking at what they offer. In comparison, what I was looking at doing would be at the lower end of the scale, providing office facilities one or two steps above a home office setup. Clients would rent one or more cubes on a month to month basis until they had grown enough to move out to something a bit more glamorous.

As I said though, all this is still in my imagination. The DCU and UCD offerings you mentioned are more technology oriented, and Regus seem to want to provide temporary office space to larger clients, so what kind of service do you see yourself needing? Also, I'm not positive but maybe the UCD and DCU guys take you under their wing if they believe you will make it, and then take a percentage of your profits. If this is so, I imagine there would be stiff competition for spaces there.

Cheers,
BadBoy

There are several places offering this in Dublin.

Po'Boy

I familiar with Enterprise Centres albeit outside of Dublin and may be able to answer some of your questions.

Do you need to work in a specific industry sector?
Yes – The policy of the centres usually follows where the funding comes from. EI and the Enterprise Boards have shovelled money into developing these centres so the application criteria would generally follow their policies (internationally traded services, manufacturing, etc…)

What kind of criteria do you need to meet and is there a time limit on how long you can stay there?

You need to be able to demonstrate that you have a sound business idea that is sustainable and with potential to grow. More and more you will also need to demonstrate environmental responsibility, have recycling and waste management policies in place.

In my experience the maximum occupancy for enterprise space was 4 years and 9 months. Then the space is recycled for the next business to enter and grow.

Generally you have to apply for enterprise space and your application is reviews by the Board of Managermet of the Centre. If you do apply they will ususally ask for a business plan projections, etc. so have them ready.

Hope this helps

H

Taken from the "Assistance" section of startingabusinessinireland.com;

"AREA PARTNERSHIPS
Some Area Partnerships offer incubator facilities. Those that do include:

* BALLYMUN PARTNERSHIP LTD
* CLONDALKIN PARTNERSHIP
* DONEGAL LOCAL DEVELOPMENT COMPANY
* MEITHEAL MHAIGH EO (NORTH MAYO PARTNERSHIP)
* NORTHSIDE PARTNERSHIP
* OAK PARTNERSHIP

BOLTON TRUST

BROOKFIELD BUSINESS CENTRE LTD

BUSINESS INNOVATION CENTRES
See individual entries for:

* CORK BUSINESS INNOVATION CENTRE
* DUBLIN BUSINESS INNOVATION CENTRE
* LIMERICK BUSINESS INNOVATION CENTRE
* NORIBIC (BUSINESS INNOVATION CENTRE, DERRY)
* SOUTH-EAST BUSINESS INNOVATION CENTRE
* WESTBIC (BUSINESS INNOVATION CENTRE, GALWAY)

CAVAN INNOVATION & TECHNOLOGY CENTRE

COMMUNITY GROUPS
Some Community Groups, though not all, offer incubator facilities. Those that do include:

* COMMUNITY ENTERPRISE SOCIETY LTD
* IRD DUHALLOW LTD
* WEST OFFALY INTEGRATED DEVELOPMENT PARTNERSHIP

COUNTY & CITY ENTERPRISE BOARDS

Some Enterprise Boards, though not all, offer incubator facilities. Those that do include:

* MAYO COUNTY ENTERPRISE BOARD
* ROSCOMMON COUNTY ENTERPRISE BOARD LTD/A>

CROSBIE BUSINESS CENTRE

DOCKLANDS INNOVATION PARK

DUN LAOIRE ENTERPRISE CENTRE

DÚN LAOIRE INSTITUTE OF ART, DESIGN & TECHNOLOGY

ENTERPRISE AGENCIES / CENTRES (NORTHERN IRELAND)
Some of the Enterprise Agencies/Centres in Northern Ireland, though not all, offer incubator facilities. Those that do include:

* ACORN, THE BUSINESS CENTRE
* DUNGANNON ENTERPRISE CENTRE LTD
* FERMANAGH ENTERPRISE LTD
* NEWRY & MOURNE ENTERPRISE AGENCY

Enterprise Ireland

ENTERPRISE PLATFORM PROGRAMMES
See individual entries for:

* FASHION KNITWEAR ENTERPRISE PLATFORM PROGRAMME, LIMERICK
* GENESIS ENTERPRISE PROGRAMME, CORK
* HOTHOUSE, DUBLIN
* M50 ENTERPRISE PLATFORM PROGRAMME, DUBLIN
* MEDICAL DEVICE ENTERPRISE PLATFORM PROGRAMME, GALWAY
* MIDLANDS ENTERPRISE PLATFORM PROGRAMME, ATHLONE
* NORTH EAST ENTERPRISE PLATFORM PROGRAMME, DUNDALK
* SOUTH EAST ENTERPRISE PLATFORM PROGRAMME, Waterford

FLAX TRUST

FOOD INNOVATION CENTRE

GALWAY TECHNOLOGY CENTRE

GORANN LTD

GROWCORP INNOVATION CENTRE

GUINNESS ENTERPRISE CENTRE

HOTORIGIN

INNOVATIONWORKS

INSTITUTES OF TECHNOLOGY
Most of the ITs have, or are building, Incubation Centres. Those in place include:

* ATHLONE INSTITUTE OF TECHNOLOGY
* INSTITUTE OF TECHNOLOGY BLANCHARDSTOWN
* INSTITUTE OF TECHNOLOGY CARLOW
* LETTERKENNY INSTITUTE OF TECHNOLOGY
* INSTITUTE OF TECHNOLOGY SLIGO

INVENT

IRD KILTIMAGH

KERRY TECHNOLOGY PARK

KILKENNY INDUSTRIAL DEVELOPMENT COMPANY

KILLARNEY TECHNOLOGY INNOVATION LTD

LEADER+
Some LEADER+ Groups, though not all, offer incubator facilities. Those that do include:

* IRD DUHALLOW LTD

LETTERKENNY BUSINESS DEVELOPMENT CENTRE

LIFFEY TRUST

LIMERICK ENTERPRISE DEVELOPMENT PARTNERSHIP

LOUGHRY CAMPUS, DEPARTMENT OF AGRICULTURE & RURAL DEVELOPMENT NORTHERN IRELAND

LOUGHRY COLLEGE FOOD BUSINESS INCUBATION CENTRE

MICHAEL SMURFIT GRADUATE SCHOOL OF BUSINESS HATCHERY

NATIONAL SOFTWARE CENTRE

NATIONAL TECHNOLOGICAL PARK

NORTHERN IRELAND SCIENCE PARK

NovaUCD

PARTAS

PDC

PRINCE’S TRUST NORTHERN IRELAND

REGIONAL DEVELOPMENT CENTRE

RICHMOND BUSINESS CAMPUS

SCIENCE FOUNDATION IRELAND

SHANNON DEVELOPMENT

SHANNON DEVELOPMENT KNOWLEDGE NETWORK

SPADE ENTERPRISE CENTRE

SYNERGY eBUSINESS INCUBATOR

TCD ENTERPRISE CENTRE

TECHNOLOGY WEST

ÚDARÁS NA GAELTACHTA

UNIVERSITIES
Most universities offer incubator facilities. Those that do include:

* DUBLIN CITY UNIVERSITY
* QUEEN'S UNIVERSITY BELFAST
* UNIVERSITY COLLEGE DUBLIN
* UNIVERSITY OF DUBLIN, TRINITY COLLEGE
* UNIVERSITY OF ULSTER

UNIVERSITY OF LIMERICK ALUMNI ASSOCIATION ENTREPRENEURSHIP PROGRAMME

UUTECH LTD

UUSRP LTD

WEXFORD ENTERPRISE CENTRE"

Po' Boy said:
Icarus
Do you have names of any of the places you're talking about??

Thanks!

The last time I was looking at office space was 2004 so I can't remember alot of the names. Most seemed to be centred around Fitzwilliam Sq. I remember visiting some above the estate agent Hasset Fitzsimmons on Dame St, a basic one middle Abbey St. and another on Westland Row.

A quick google has turned up these results:
http://www.quorum.ie/flexible-offices.htm
http://www.ccsols.ie/
http://www.premgroup.com/
http://www.skybusinesscentres.com/
http://www.fitzbiz.com/

and this news article:
[broken link removed]

Back