Business Ideas Sub-Forum ?

trajan

Brendan and other prominents:

What about a forum where each thread would concern a new idea for a business ?

Obviously, it would not be an idea that the poster themselves wants to pursue. Rather more like something with - the poster believes at any rate - potential in Ireland: some service or product that would make the local economy and/or society function better. Experienced entrepreneurs and those with expertise in that trade might contribute constructively, iron out know-how limitations, public demand, market assessment, capital requirements, etc.

What do you think ?

How about starting with a thread on it?

If we get loads of idea and little hassle, then it might well justify a forum.

Be warned that the response to most business ideas is "That would never work..."

But I suspect most of the posts will be "I am thinking of opening a coffee shop in Mountmellick. What do you think?"

Brendan

How about starting with a thread on it?

If we get loads of idea and little hassle, then it might well justify a forum.

Be warned that the response to most business ideas is "That would never work..."

But I suspect most of the posts will be "I am thinking of opening a coffee shop in Mountmellick. What do you think?"

Brendan
That forum would never work.

The foregoing responses show how hard it is to get anything into the air in Ireland !

What I had in mind would be things less ubiquitous than cafes.
(Although I long for the day when we do have the kind of cafes M. McDowell envisioned - less the alcoholic drink, of course - just a few years ago. The sort of places that old as well as young could go to in the evening for mild refreshment and sustenance, a game of chess/checkers/bridge (in quieter rooms upstairs) and either present day sport or golden classic like Ali v Frazier 1971 on TV. Open till midnight. The crucial part of this type of amenity is that the social management of it - it will never be a moneyspinner. I have some ideas for this, ask if interested but only if you yourself are seriously interested in the concept - not in wrecking-balll practice.)

The enterprises I had in mind would be things most people would agree would benefit the business or wider community - yet for reasons of inertia, busyness, family demands and doubts about that critical mass of customers no one bothers to start up.

Many of them might only work as an online enterprise, owing to their scattered customer base; others may be only viable in a given area of a single county or a very limited part of a small urban market.

Know what, one thing we need to do more than anything else for enterprise in Ireland - aside from respecting the endeavour of those undertaking it, as T. McGibney periodically points out - is just to lend them the benefit of the positive part of our minds.

Brendan, you asked for an idea or two to kick it off.
Fair enough, here's one or two.

1. Insulating window drapes for retaining heat in post Minister Gormley designed houses, the type having large south-facing double-glazed windows in their lounges. These would be like regular drapes on the lounge side and some damp-resistant fabric on the glass side with something akin to a winter-grade duvet in between.

2. To offer a more efficient solution to the problem that idea #1 tries to solve: a (summer) removable, exterior, accordion-foldable, insulating shutter for large French windows. Draw it across at twilight, open it in the morning at sunrise. Made of protected softwood with synthetic insulation within it.

Last edited:
If I had a business idea or an invention in mind, the last thing I would do is post it on a discussion forum.
Maybe some snippets of detail to get advice on isolated topics, but you have put your idea out there for somebody else to steal in my opinion.

The foregoing responses show how hard it is to get anything into the air in Ireland !

What I had in mind would be things less ubiquitous than cafes.
(Although I long for the day when we do have the kind of cafes M. McDowell envisioned - less the alcoholic drink, of course - just a few years ago. The sort of places that old as well as young could go to in the evening for mild refreshment and sustenance, a game of chess/checkers/bridge (in quieter rooms upstairs) and either present day sport or golden classic like Ali v Frazier 1971 on TV. Open till midnight. The crucial part of this type of amenity is that the social management of it - it will never be a moneyspinner. I have some ideas for this, ask if interested but only if you yourself are seriously interested in the concept - not in wrecking-balll practice.)

Interestingly there is a culture on the Northern Ireland north coast of cafes staying open well quite late

https://bobandberts.co.uk/stores/portstewart/ (Bob and Berts) is only one of many in Portstewart and they open 7 days a week until 9pm.

Unfortunately, minimum wage creep is likely in time to make this unviable.

If I had a business idea or an invention in mind, the last thing I would do is post it on a discussion forum.
Maybe some snippets of detail to get advice on isolated topics, but you have put your idea out there for somebody else to steal in my opinion.

As stated in the starting post, these ideas would not be ones that the poster themselves would want to pursue - they'd already have enough on, they might be too long in the tooth, it might be outside their field of expertise, etc.

The sole motivation in offering the business idea would be to improve the local economy and/or society.

That's a fantastic idea! A dedicated forum for business ideas could serve as a valuable platform for fostering innovation and collaboration. It would provide a space for individuals to share their creative concepts, and experienced entrepreneurs could offer insights, guidance, and constructive feedback. This collaborative environment could contribute to the development of viable business models, potentially benefiting the local economy and society. It's a great initiative to bring together diverse perspectives and expertise to explore and refine innovative ideas. ;)

. . . experienced entrepreneurs could offer insights, guidance, and constructive feedback.

Yes but not only entrepreneurs. Those involve with technological aspects of recycling rubbers and plastics might have constructive input to offer also. As would everyday observers of this particularly annoying public nuisance.

Back