Business Current Account problem with Directors Name - Maiden v's Married and RBO website

cloughy

Ive a business current account with Revolut since last Nov, and before last week no issues, but now I get an message to update/validate business details.

When I set up the company, it was my wife and myself as shareholders/directors, but I created the company with my wifes married name, and then in 2019 had to register the beneficial ownership details on the RBO website, but as it validates against PPS number I had to register it in my wifes name.

I have not had an issue with this when I had Ulster Bank Account, and even opened one with PTSB and no issues, but I opened a Revolut Business account, and operational since last Nov without any issues, but last week got a message to update/validate the UBO details, and they didn't match what they had on file v's what was on the RBO site.

I have been going round and round in circles with their webchat people, and all I get is that I must update the RBO details to match what they have, but since the RBO validates PPS number i cant register my wife as director/shareholder of the company in her married name, and Revolut wont update their details to her maiden name, they wont accept marriage certificate as its handwritten (as most are here) and I dont know what to do next.

They cant get a person from their Know your Business team to contact me, and all I get is same rehashed message that update RBO to match their details.

Anyone have similar issue or ideas how to resolve ?

Ive a business current account with Revolut since last Nov, and before last week no issues, but now I get an message to update/validate business details.

When I set up the company, it was my wife and myself as shareholders/directors, but I created the company with my wifes married name, and then in 2019 had to register the beneficial ownership details on the RBO website, but as it validates against PPS number I had to register it in my wifes name.

I have not had an issue with this when I had Ulster Bank Account, and even opened one with PTSB and no issues, but I opened a Revolut Business account, and operational since last Nov without any issues, but last week got a message to update/validate the UBO details, and they didn't match what they had on file v's what was on the RBO site.

I have been going round and round in circles with their webchat people, and all I get is that I must update the RBO details to match what they have, but since the RBO validates PPS number i cant register my wife as director/shareholder of the company in her married name, and Revolut wont update their details to her maiden name, they wont accept marriage certificate as its handwritten (as most are here) and I dont know what to do next.

They cant get a person from their Know your Business team to contact me, and all I get is same rehashed message that update RBO to match their details.

Anyone have similar issue or ideas how to resolve ?
Where is ‘here’?

If it’s Ireland, marriage certs aren’t written. They’re printed and from memory you can buy them online.

I got married in 2001, and the marriage certificate was handwritten, signed by both parties, the witnesses, the official and then physically posted to the registrar.
Maybe things have changed since, but I requested a copy of it, paid €22 for the privilege and its s copy of what we signed, handwriting and all.

Might see about DSP, but my wife goes by both names, passport in maiden name, drivers licence in married name

I did try to oped an account with a real bank, PTSB, started process in July, waited for appointment, never materialised, had to make numerous calls, eventually got an appointment in October filled in all forms, December account still not opened, old UB account closed in Dec, so had to seek other option and Revolut took about a week, and upto now has been good, but not sure if move to irish IBANs has focused yhe checks now, as when opened with the directors and shareholders there was no issue raised

Bunq offer business accounts. Easy to set up and certainly more customer friendly than Revolut.

Might be the better option.

Might see about DSP, but my wife goes by both names, passport in maiden name, drivers licence in married name
I wonder if this is the real root cause. Going by two different names in you day to day activities will cause complications with identity verification requirements for business operators such as insurance/banks/pensions where it is very important that they verify the identity of the person they are dealing with. I would recommend that your wife choose one name to be known by officially, and ensure this is the name she uses for all documentation purposes. For example my dads name was Paddy but he went by Patrick on anything he signed, applied for.

A lot of this comes down to a common law versus civil law culture clash.

On most of the continent if you want to take your husband's name you go to the town hall and they update it on a database, give you a piece of paper, and then you use this with public and private bodies to update where relevant.

In Ireland like most of the English-speaking world your name is established by "use and repute" and for many public and private bodies a woman just tells them their new married name and that's enough, sometimes evidence of marriage is required. Some women use different surnames in work and outside work. I don't get this myself but each to their own.

My guess is that Revolut's systems are designed for use in countries where people have a single, canonical name. As more and more services go digital these kinds of problems will arise more and more in Ireland for women who haven't decided whether to take their husband's name in all contexts or the Paddy/Patrick example as above.

My advice to anyone would be to stick to one version of your name for all official documentation.

Back