Motor Business class for both husband and wife

colin79ie

Just renewed our policy and selected class 2 business use.
I don't use the car for work but my wife does. She travels to/from work and for local runs in relation to her job. She doesn't carry goods etc but just travels around on occasion giving presentations. I am the policy holder and she is named driver. Been the same for years.

Policy document said 'self only' for business cover and when I queried the replied to say spouse cannot be covered, only the policy holder.

Trying to find info but all I can find is their FAQ which says cover for policyholder and/or spouse. I have mailed them again but no reply as yet. Allianz.

Can anyone shed any light on this ?

Aviva might be able to assist. Certainly when I worked there,(Hibernian then though), 20 yrs ago, there was this facility.

Just renewed our policy and selected class 2 business use.
I don't use the car for work but my wife does. She travels to/from work and for local runs in relation to her job. She doesn't carry goods etc but just travels around on occasion giving presentations. I am the policy holder and she is named driver. Been the same for years.

Policy document said 'self only' for business cover and when I queried the replied to say spouse cannot be covered, only the policy holder.

Trying to find info but all I can find is their FAQ which says cover for policyholder and/or spouse. I have mailed them again but no reply as yet. Allianz.

Can anyone shed any light on this ?

I have had many policies with Allianz over the years and always found them to be reasonable and accommodating.

Even if this is a recent change in Allianz’s T&c’s, as you don’t need business cover, and Mrs. colin79ie does, why could she not be the policy holder and you be the named driver ?

Last edited:
If it is a recent change I cannot find it and have emailed to ask where it is. No reply as yet.
I have always been the main driver since we were first insured together when she was at college.
A few years ago when my wife took up a new job I contacted them to ensure she was covered and there was an extra payment made. As I work away from home for weeks at a time I use public transport so don't need it.
We got a 2nd car last year for me to use when I am not away and she is the main driver on that one.

I think if we now have to change to make her the main driver on the main car and then change me to main driver on the 2nd car it will cost a fortune the way things are with insurance costs.
The 2nd car is due for renewal in Nov so maybe allianz can sort both then. The 2nd car is with another company.

If it is a recent change I cannot find it and have emailed to ask where it is. No reply as yet.

Allianz’s website still clearly says once specifically requested business class both 1 & 2 apply to ‘’ The Insured and / or Spouse’’

Can I use my car for work?

You are covered to use your car for social, domestic and pleasure purposes, including travel to and from work. Business use (Class 1 and Class 2) is available but must be specifically requested.
Class 1

Class 1 use is when the car is being used for social, domestic and pleasure purposes and for use by the insured and/or spouse in connection with his/her business or occupation. Class 1 use covers an annual business mileage of up to 1000 miles/1600 kilometres.

Class 2

Class 2 use is when the car is being used for social, domestic and pleasure purposes and for use by the insured and/or spouse in connection with his/her business which is not covered by Class 1 (i.e. more than 1000 miles/1600 kilometres per year)

I did point this out on my email. Still no reply. Just a 'request denied. We don't offer cover for business use for named drivers'.

No explanation other than that.

I find it baffling that one cannot get business cover for husband and wife. What if, for example we both worked in the same place on opposite shifts and both used the car?

Contact a broker. They should be able to find an alternative company that will do this for you.

I did point this out on my email. Still no reply. Just a 'request denied. We don't offer cover for business use for named drivers'.

No explanation other than that.

I find it baffling that one cannot get business cover for husband and wife. What if, for example we both worked in the same place on opposite shifts and both used the car?
Its not about you both using it to get to work, its about what you do with it. And one of you would have to be considered the main driver is the reason that the additional driver generally don't get business use. Their use of the vehicle would be considered casual.

Back