Bus routes for Shankill Co Dublin, Shanganagh Road 45A, 145 and variations.

Marcia

I am considering moving to Shankill Co Dublin.

The area I am thinking of is the Shanganagh Road, to the right side of the church at the roundabout towards Bray.

I have being trying to do some research about bus routes and it seems all the busses which pass through the village, do not go along Shanganagh Road. They take a another road off the roundabout.

It seems that the only two bus routes that go along Shanganagh Road are the 45A and the 145, both quite infrequent. The 45 only runs from Dun Laoghaire to Bray and the 145 from Ballsbridge to Ballywalthrim.

As I spend a lot of time out in the Blackrock area, this could be a problem.

Can't find a map with the bus routes and Dublin Bus timetable lists the journey stages of the 45, for example, as passing through Shankill (The Gap) - where's this ?, then Shankill Church and then Loughlinstown.

As I am not familiar with the areas and roads I cannot tell if it actually goes along Shanganagh Road or not ? If anyone know any more about this, I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Bus routes for Shankill Co Wicklow Does Dublin Bus have maps showing routes/varat

Dublin bus map @ mkmap.com/dublin

Have a look at this site. Its based on google maps. I can see the 45A but not the 145.

Im not familiar with the area but according to the site the following routes are worth looking at 7, 7B, 45, 45A, 58X, 84 and 86.

aj

Re: Bus routes for Shankill Co Wicklow, Shanganagh Road 45A, 145 and variations.

Shankill is NOT in Co.Wicklow. It is in Dublin 18. The Dublin/Wicklow border is about a mile south of Shankill on the old Bray Road.

Re: Bus routes for Shankill Co Wicklow, Shanganagh Road 45A, 145 and variations.

True it is not in County Wicklow ! But I did not post that - it was edited by the moderator !

Ajapale, thanks for the info. However those bus routes you mention go through Shankill village and turn off either at the roundabout or elsewhere. They do not go along Shanganagh Road.

Re: Bus routes for Shankill D18, Shanganagh Road 45A, 145 and variations.

text 53503 bus 145,45,45A example. they all run.84 aslo

I am considering moving to Shankill D18.

It seems that the only two bus routes that go along Shanganagh Road are the 45A and the 145, both quite infrequent. The 45 only runs from Dun Laoghaire to Bray and the 145 from Ballsbridge to Ballywalthrim.

As I spend a lot of time out in the Blackrock area, this could be a problem.

The 145 goes from Kilmacanogue right through to city centre and its fairly frequent and pretty reliable - bus lane most of the way too but it runs along the Stillorgan dual carriage-way, so you may need to switch buses if you don't want to walk into Blackrock.

45 route was recently changed and now only runs from Bray to Ballsbridge. You'd be best with a flexible ticket that allows you to switch buses along the way so that you can get the 7/7a etc then switch to 145 / 45a etc.

Check how close you are to the dart line & the feeder buses. There are also some private bus companies (Finnegans run a feeder bus to the Luas in Sandyford) that may be of use too.

oops, maybe my geography is off re: Shanganagh Road - the buses from Bray diverge at St Ann's Church (I think) - 45A goes right to Dun Laoghaire, 145/45/84 goes left onto Loughlinstown roundabout.

When you say Shanganagh Road, are you talking about a)Shanganagh Grove off Quinn's Road b)Shanganagh Cliffs, Rathsallagh or c)Shanganagh, Loughlinstown (road beside Pitch and Putt club and Shanganagh River. They are all completely different.

Hi Marcia,
The only bus that goes through Shanganagh rd is the 45a which goes from Bray to Dun Laoghaire, in the morning time and evening time you can catch a special bus the 7b which runs mon-fri starts in shankill and goes to town (neither of these hit blackrock)
If you walk up to the roundabout at shankill village youll be able to catch the 45 (not the 45a) which goes through blackrock from bray to ballsbridge, you can also catch the 145 which goes from Kilmacanogue to Dublin city Centre
the 84 goes from Kilcoole/greystones to Dublin City Centre
or else walk up and catch the dart which again goes through blackrock and on to Dublin city

Thanks for all your messages. To be honest I am not very familiar with Shankill so I am not sure which Shanganagh Road it is - but it is the lower half of it, going towards Bray as far as the roundabout. I rang Donnybrook Garage and they confirmed that the only bus is the 45a which runs from Dunlaoghaire. They said the 46 (which used to stop on Shanganagh Road) has been discontinued. However the 45a runs every half hour, so from Blackrock I could get the 45 and then catch the 45a in Shankill village. Alternatively I could get the 84 on the Stillorgan Road and change to the 45a in Shankill Village. The reason why I don't want to get the Dart is if I am travelling late on the winter's evening at about 10pm - the road from the Dart station and Shanganagh Road are quite countryish and deserted and lonely.

By the way, I'm afraid the heading will have to be changed again !! Shankill is not in Dublin 18 either, it is County Dublin !!

your best bet then is to have a look at google maps, find where the wyatville rd is in comparison to where shanganagh rd the 7 runs through blackrock and drops you off at the wyatvile rd your looking at about a 15 min walk down along shanganagh rd through ballybrack to the roundabout at cromlech fields but add another 10-15 mins if your up as far as shankill dart station or alternativley dart from blackrock to dun laoghaire then 45a from there

By the way, I'm afraid the heading will have to be changed again !! Shankill is not in Dublin 18 either, it is County Dublin !!

I'm afraid you're wrong there. Dun Laoghaire, Deansgrange and Blackrock are all County Dublin, but Shankill is DEFINITELY Dublin 18 as is Cabinteely !

[broken link removed]

It doesn't list it under Dublin 18 on that link you posted

True it doesn't. On the internet, it says Dublin 18 in some places and Co Dublin in others. To be honest, I don't know the real answer. All I know is that most of the post that my parents get has Dublin 18 on it and it always arrives !

Back