Bunq Paying 3.01% via Promo Offer

Bunq decreased their rates more than the ECB on prior occasions, therefore their message is a little misleading.
 
They are dropping their rate to 1.51%/2.26%

In light of recent changes in the market and rate reductions by the European Central Bank (ECB), we’re updating our interest rates.

As of May 20, 2025, the new rates will be:
MassInterest base rate: 1.51%
MassInterest bonus rate: 2.26%
MassInterest Business rate (remains unchanged): 0.75%
We’ll continue to pay out your interest earnings weekly on your bunq Payday, so you can benefit from compound interest to achieve your savings goals even faster.
 
This might be handy for someone, if finding yourself out of Moco's Promotional rate which I am today and back on 2.1%.

I asked Bunq's Finn what my interest rate will be - (Bunq AI) :

"Good timing — today is July 1st, which is one of the two annual threshold reset dates. Your current interest rate for EUR savings is 3.01% annually. Since your threshold is €0.00, your entire balance earns this bonus rate.

Your new threshold for the July–December 2026 period is based on your highest savings balance between January 1 and June 30, 2026.

If you kept a low or zero balance during
that time, your threshold stays at or near €0, meaning any amount you deposit (up to the €100,000 maximum) would continue earning the full 3.01%.

Keep in mind that rates are variable and can change over time."
 
Last edited:
That is a decent increase in the Bunq promo rate to 3.01%.

It is gimmicky with complex conditions attached, but worth taking advantage of for 6 months if you can.

It is getting easier to get paid over 3% with an instant access account thanks to Advanzia, Trade Republic (new customer rate) and Trading212 (new customer rate) and now Bunq.
 
i have a question on when interest is applied to a deposit on an existing Bunq account. I made a deposit on the 13th August. It was received at 11:22 am by bunq. My interest for that week was paid on the 15th August. I noticed the interest did not include interest on the amount i lodged on the 13th. I queried this with Bunq today and they initially replied there was a mistake. That amounts received before 23:59pm on a given day should receive interest for that day. However Bunq messaged a few minutes later to say that the money lodged on the 13th would not be included for interest calculation until the 14th. Has anyone experienced this with Bunq?
 
From Bunq website "How is my MassInterest calculated and paid out?" (I can't post links):
We apply the daily interest to the daily minimum of the sum of your Savings balances to calculate your daily interest.
 
signed up for this , in the process of transfering €100k into it , when the 3.01 % runs out , how easy is it to transfer to a different bank ?
 
how easy is it to transfer to a different bank ?
Real easy. SEPA Instant transfer, and you can increase your transfer limit on the app. However, they may decide to delay initiating the transfer for 24 hours as a fraud protection measure. This can be overruled on the app.
 
signed up for this , in the process of transfering €100k into it , when the 3.01 % runs out , how easy is it to transfer to a different bank ?

very very very difficult

Having been a customer of BUNQ's for a couple of years and having had over €100k with them for the first 6 months of 2025, I decided to move the lot (apart from a nominal €100) elsewhere when the interest rate dropped at the end of the six months. I put through a €50k SEPA transfer to an account in my own name in an Irish bricks and mortar bank and they immediately blocked my account (This was not a new payee, I had used it previously). I spent a long 8 days communicating with their so called support (AI chatbots) which was one of the most frustrating experiences I've ever endured. My repeated requests for an explanation, a clear instruction on what had to be done to get my money released, or the opportunity to speak with a human yielded nothing. Instead I got an endless stream of empathetic AI generated verbiage, telling me that everything was OK, reassuring me that they understood my concerns, confirming that the delay in getting a meaningful response was unacceptable and not the level of service they aspire to etc etc. etc. In desperation, I uploaded a draft of a detailed letter that I proposed sending to the CBI, DNB, the FCA, The Department of Finance & Minister for Finance, Ali Niknam (BUNQ's CEO), the editors of The Irish Times, The Irish Independent and the Irish Examiner and a long list of online platforms. My account was "unfrozen" the same day and the transfer proceeded. I put through transfers for the balance over the following days. And closed my account. No explanation for their conduct was given, no compensation was offered and no assurance that the same thing couldn't happen again.

Everything you have ever been warned about in relation to Revolut support applies to BUNQ. There are no circumstances in which I would open an account with them again, and I certainly would not recommend them to anybody especially in relation to substantial deposits. They are hiding behind a wall of chatbots and they absolutely will not respect any requests to connect you directly to a human, provide you with meaningful responses to legitimate queries or provide timelines to resolution.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top