Bungalow Renovation

Sunnygirl69

A 3 bedroom bungalow - F energy rating, 136 Sq metres. There is a garage attached & I'm pretty sure this figure includes it.
What would be a ballpark figure of renovation to include rewiring, plumbing, plastering, flooring, new windows, new kitchen & bathroom?
Then on top of that, if attic were to be converted how much more?
Also are there grants available if going from an F to better energy rating?
House is in Co Louth

Thanks for any advice.

not less than EUR50k would be my guess.

Wold you consider adding 50k onto your purchase price & relook at the market to see what you could get in a better condition?
Try saving yourself some hardship & inflation risk & shoddy workmanship risk & schedule risk.

Gosh I'd have said nearer double that! But it's a sort of how long is a piece of string question, I am on a couple of Self Build/Renovation FB pages and even a good accurate estimate is hard to get there, so many variables! Windows and doors are an awful price these days, a front door is anywhere between 3/5k alone

not less than EUR50k would be my guess.

Wold you consider adding 50k onto your purchase price & relook at the market to see what you could get in a better condition?
Try saving yourself some hardship & inflation risk & shoddy workmanship risk & schedule risk.
But that's the whole issue with housing in Ireland, total lack of supply.

Maybe have a look at room too improve on the rte media player which mite give you ideas & rough costs.

Re plumbing €15,000 upwards

Maybe have a look at room too improve on the rte media player which mite give you ideas & rough costs.

Re plumbing €15,000 upwards
Thanks I do watch that. It's a bit of a running joke with cost over runs. And some of the budgets astronomical figures.... 600k to redo house in north Co Dublin.... Ridiculous

You need to get quotes from builders/architects but first you need to be clear what exactly you would like done

You need to get quotes from builders/architects but first you need to be clear what exactly you would like done

From that mad Room to Improve it would appear that the QA is the one that is worth their weight in gold between realistic pricing and advice regarding grants available.

Thanks I do watch that. It's a bit of a running joke with cost over runs. And some of the budgets astronomical figures.... 600k to redo house in north Co Dublin.... Ridiculous
Cost overruns are more common than you might think. It's only when you start ripping things out that you might discover issues that need to be addressed but were not priced in the quotes.

This site has come guide prices, but you need to find some builders who would be willing to take the job on, work out a detailed specification and get a few to quote based on that to ensure you are comparing like with like. Without a lot more detail of precisely what you want, people here can only guess.

Cost overruns are more common than you might think. It's only when you start ripping things out that you might discover issues that need to be addressed but were not priced in the quotes.

This site has come guide prices, but you need to find some builders who would be willing to take the job on, work out a detailed specification and get a few to quote based on that to ensure you are comparing like with like. Without a lot more detail of precisely what you want, people here can only guess.
That is true. I know a couple of builders but I know their provisional prices will be based on walking round house & giving me guesstimate. So different to spec/costing on paper but at that stage we might have bought the house. I think it's very true to say how long is a piece of string & I guess ppl can literally spend any amount of money. I was hoping someone might say yes for circa 100k house can be nicely renovated & energy rating substantially improved, new bathroom, kitchen & floors. Again I am not looking for top end spec. ..We redid our kitchen approx 5 years ago, spent approx 10k on it & it's beautiful job but at the time I had quotes of up to 45k if someone wanted to spend that kind of money.
Leo whereabouts on site can I find these guide prices?

A 3 bedroom bungalow - F energy rating, 136 Sq metres. There is a garage attached & I'm pretty sure this figure includes it.
What would be a ballpark figure of renovation to include rewiring, plumbing, plastering, flooring, new windows, new kitchen & bathroom?
Then on top of that, if attic were to be converted how much more?
Also are there grants available if going from an F to better energy rating?
House is in Co Louth

Thanks for any advice.
We have a quote in for similar - rewire, replumb, flooring, walls, kitchen, bathrooms etc. Estimate is €135K in Dublin.

Haven't a hope of getting that done for 50k and 100k is much nearer the mark, and that is without a contingency for what you'll find when you start, (and you will find something). Like anything, the final figure will depend on the cost of what you put it, for example a granite worktop against a wooden one, triple or double glazing.

As for the BER and insulation, there are grants available. I got quoted €64k for external wrap, solar panels and heat pump and some other smaller things from one of the one stop shops, that for a 4 bed semi. solar you should be able to do for 10k, external wrap will depend on the size of the house and you should also check if if you need to get it dry lined inside. New windows and doors to the required standard will boost your BER.

We ended up doing upgrades individually rather then the one stop shop, working out around 10k cheaper before the grants. Note you will also have to consider cash flow in all of this.

Yes and I believe it's very hard to get anyone available on the one stop shop. In my mind at least 100k too & as u say contingency & finishes after that

That's good to hear..... Have u started work yet? Is it old house too?
Yes, BER F. That includes budgets for kitchen, tiling and flooring. From experience we’ll decide carefully with options and save. If we can bring it to a C rating over time we would be happy. No interest in a full retrofit. The quote includes contingency.

So went to see it today. Couple of things if anyone has any experience/thoughts.

Overhead power line going across back garden from house next doors garden to couple of other properties. As far as I can see, most of the other ones on the road have been removed. Will this be an issue?
Subsidence has been an issue in the past & property has had remedial work. I would imagine this work was probably done 20+ years ago. Does this type of structural fix normally need to be redone?
TIA

Back