Bunds & Deutsch Bank

149oaks

I will be travelling to Germany next week (I have no account there yet) and have 2 questions:
1. How does one go about buying say €10000 of Bunds? A bank, Post Office?
2. I have read comments in some Posts that Deutsch Bank could be risky. If so why and which German Banks are seen as not risky?

I will be travelling to Germany next week (I have no account there yet) and have 2 questions:
2. I have read comments in some Posts that Deutsch Bank could be risky. If so why and which German Banks are seen as not risky?

The ECB are going to step in and buy up all the debt/print the money to do so, so I wouldn't be bothered travelling anywhere.

I have a chunk of my saving with deutsche bank. I don't have bunds.They are the biggest bank in germany, and yes they have bad debts ++. However, in this bunds v german deposits issue, my own current view is that a german deposit is better option. Why?

1. You get 2% interest
2. Its value does not fluctuate like bonds
3. They are "guaranteed" by german gov, bonds have no guarantee- some guarantee is better than none at all !
4. If there is a financial meltdown, I would have thought that german gov would protect deposit holders over bund holders- this is main argument for german deposit over bunds
5. The one argument for bunds is that in a euro "divorce", german gov could say non-resident accounts are now not guaranateed or they revert to their country of origin eg punt nua etc. This is possible, but what about Helga & Fritz who lives in Ireland, have irish PPSNs, but have their life savings in home country? Also severe reputational damage to germany for doing this? What above people then whose country of residence is not in the eurozone but have non-resident accounts

I don't have all the answers, feel free to critically evaluate these arguments!! Its point 4 v point 5 really...

Deutsche bank are leveraged like any other bank. I dont know what level of savings you have but notwithstanding the level of deposit guarantee, the German government government wont let DB fail. If it's a position of all bets are off then it's run for the hills with tinned food time.
Bunds can be bought but with soverign rates moving upwards this would devalue anyones bunds that are already in place. I agree with fionns points 4 v 5 and thats a personal choice.

Deutsche bank are leveraged like any other bank.

Well above most banks tbh.

I dont know what level of savings you have but notwithstanding the level of deposit guarantee, the German government government wont let DB fail.

Well they'll try not, but have you looked at the size of DB's balance sheet?

If it's a position of all bets are off then it's run for the hills with tinned food time.

Abut time someone said this. No harm in making preperations in precaution for shops and garages being closed for a few days.

The ECB are going to step in and buy up all the debt/print the money to do so, so I wouldn't be bothered travelling anywhere.

Could you provide us with eveidence that they will do this?

Perhaps you know somthing Dr. Merkel doesn't?

I'm glad I'm getting a debate going- I have been turning this over in my own mind and am on the side of german deposits v bunds. I'm well aware that DB is not the best of german bank, but they are the only bank (for good reasons of course) who are especially receptive to non-residents. Just like here, all the banks are interlinked. They are I believe the biggest retail bank in germany, that counts for something..

I'm glad I'm getting a debate going- I have been turning this over in my own mind and am on the side of german deposits v bunds. I'm well aware that DB is not the best of german bank, but they are the only bank (for good reasons of course) who are especially receptive to non-residents. Just like here, all the banks are interlinked. They are I believe the biggest retail bank in germany, that counts for something..

Have you thought about diversification.

Its logistically difficult to set-up 2-3 diff deposit accounts in germany from here. I would have thought all german deposit holders in retail banks would be in the same boat in the event of a meltdown...Guarantee is up to 100K?

I think you need to look up diversification. i meant aside from German banks

Thanks for the replies & comments but nobody has answered the question I posed:

MoM

Can you expand on what you mean by diversification with examples for those of us without experience in money management.

Also, for someone with less than 50k, should they be worried about guarantees and diversification away from a German account?

Thanks for the replies & comments but nobody has answered the question I posed:

A trip to Germany, see the German finance agency site You can use a broker, but see MF gloabl as an example of what can go wrong.

MoM

Can you expand on what you mean by diversification with examples for those of us without experience in money management.

Also, for someone with less than 50k, should they be worried about guarantees and diversification away from a German account?

It means not outting all your eggs in one basket. It involves holding a number of currencies, some physical gold, silver, shares etc.

1 year bunds are now returning below zero yield. Just an observation!

I think this will only be a big issue if inflation increases. Most people arent looking to them for their ROI.

I think this will only be a big issue if inflation increases. Most people arent looking to them for their ROI.

Negative yields basically mean it is costing you money to hold German paper. If people are willing to invest in something offering below zero yields or yields of about 1% when inflation is running at 3% because they are looking for safety if the euro collapses, then bunds are not the answer.

Negative yields basically mean it is costing you money to hold German paper. If people are willing to invest in something offering below zero yields or yields of about 1% when inflation is running at 3% because they are looking for safety if the euro collapses, then bunds are not the answer.

Sunny is absolutely right. What also has to be taken into account is that income on Bunds would be taxable as income at the marginal rate, while interest on cash would be taxed under DIRT.

Negative yields basically mean it is costing you money to hold German paper.

Yes a miniscule amount.

Certainly alot less than if an FX rate goes against you. A small cost for the possibility of saving 50% of the PP of your capital.

If people are willing to invest in something offering below zero yields or yields of about 1% when inflation is running at 3% because they are looking for safety if the euro collapses, then bunds are not the answer.

Perhaps you'd tell people the answer then.

And its lazy saying inflation is 3% - EZ is - but last time i looked this was Ireland and inflation is 1.5%

Sunny is absolutely right. What also has to be taken into account is that income on Bunds would be taxable as income at the marginal rate, while interest on cash would be taxed under DIRT.

Wow, don't contradict yourself there. They give crap yields but you have to worry about the tax on this crap yield. The tax will be insignificant.

If investors considering this are worried about a small tax differential I can only assume they are doing it for the wrong reasons and havent done their research to differentiate between the different institutions and likely scenarios if/when a catyclismic event happens.

Back