Bullying of small cars.

The other issue is that entering cars pull onto the motorway at a too slow speed. The point of the slip road is to first get to the full speed as the rest of the traffic, before entering the motorway.
Many Irish motorway slip roads don't really allow for that unless you're driving a Maserati or something.

The slip road is an entry or exit point it is not a runway to let rip to 100 or 120 km per hour. Traffic on the motorway are expected to facilitate entering traffic by either slowing to their speed to allow them to merge or moving out to the next lane.

Many Irish motorway slip roads don't really allow for that unless you're driving a Maserati or something.
I'm sure you agree that a majority of drivers are not using the full length of the slip road when getting onto the motorway.

The slip road is an entry or exit point it is not a runway to let rip to 100 or 120 km per hour. Traffic on the motorway are expected to facilitate entering traffic by either slowing to their speed to allow them to merge or moving out to the next lane.

This is what the RSA says:

"- As you approach the motorway on the slip road, check your mirrors and your blind spot for a safe gap in the traffic.
- Give way to traffic already on the motorway.
' Change your speed to fit safely and legally into the traffic (lane1). Stay in the slip road if it continues as an extra lane on the motorway. Avoid crossing a solid white line that separates the traffic lanes. "
Source

So, you are required to adjust your speed to fit into the traffic of lane one. You can't do that safely on a busy motorway like the M50 without having the same speed as lane 1.

So, you are required to adjust your speed to fit into the traffic of lane one. You can't do that safely on a busy motorway like the M50 without having the same speed as lane 1.
Exactly that, and so many people don't seem to realise that. The law is quite clear:

A driver shall not drive from one traffic lane to another without yielding the right of way to traffic in that other lane.

The amount of people you see pulling onto the motorways or into the overtaking lane forcing traffic already in that lane to slow. Most modern cars and light commercials can accelarate from 50-100kmph in ~150m. Do we have any merge lanes that are not considerable longer than that?

The slip road is an entry or exit point it is not a runway to let rip to 100 or 120 km per hour.
"Let rip"? Accelerating from 60Kmph to 100Kmph over a distance of a few hundred meters isn't, by any reasonable definition, anyone's idea of letting rip.
Traffic on the motorway are expected to facilitate entering traffic by either slowing to their speed to allow them to merge or moving out to the next lane.
Incorrect.

The southbound slip road at exit 14 (Beacon) has a speed limit of 120 kmh

This is what the RSA says:

"- As you approach the motorway on the slip road, check your mirrors and your blind spot for a safe gap in the traffic.
- Give way to traffic already on the motorway.
' Change your speed to fit safely and legally into the traffic (lane1). Stay in the slip road if it continues as an extra lane on the motorway. Avoid crossing a solid white line that separates the traffic lanes. "
Source

All very well in theory. Hgv's are speed limited to 90 kmph or 80 kmph when pulling a trailer. In many cases they cannot reach this speed on a slip road. Motorists on the motorway are expected to either reduce their speed or move over to the next lane to allow these vehicles and any cars following them to enter onto the motorway.

The southbound slip road at exit 14 (Beacon) has a speed limit of 120 kmh
That's because the speed limit on that section of the M50 is 120 kmph. This doesn't mean that every vehicle is able to or expected to reach this speed before merging.

Yes,
Have any other small car drivers noticed this bullying behaviour.

Definitely S class. SUV's, Range Rovers and the like are also culprits.

I try to fight fire with fire and put the boot down but it mainly just results in a smoke screen which does tend to deter tailgaters to a certain degree.

Yes,

Definitely S class. SUV's, Range Rovers and the like are also culprits.

I try to fight fire with fire and put the boot down but it mainly just results in a smoke screen which does tend to deter tailgaters to a certain degree.
That sounds like you are burning oil and you need to get your car serviced.

Reactions: Leo
Very often while driving my Hyundai I would have motorists following behind me within a couple of meters from my rear bumper. More often than not these are lorry or van drivers. They look large and threatening behind before overtaking me.
This rarely occurs when I drive the Transporter.
I drive big and small cars, in my experience it doesn't matter what you drive, the drivers of trucks in paticular will be up your ass regardless.

I regularly drive a two lane national road with kids, the speed limit on this road is 100 kmh. I prefer to stay in the left lane where traffic is typically moving at 80 - 90 kmh and keeping a safe distance from whatever is in front. Often there would be a 20 ton truck within inches of my rear bumper who considers the safe distance in front of me as an invitation to overtake and harass the next motorist, when that truck passes me, there is always another to take its place. It is particularly annoying as the truck drivers would clearly see the kids in the back of my car, and it appears they have no concept of what would happen if I had to brake suddenly. So for safety reasons, I often have no choice but to drive at 100 kmh in the outer lane.

Apart from the tailgating issue, as a professional truck driver, they should know and drive at no more than the maximum speed a truck is allowed to travel at on any national road, which is 80 Kmh. Trucks are only allowed to travel at 90 Kmh on motorways. A good example of this is the N7 between Red Cow and Nass, this is a national road and only becomes the M7 motorway after Naas. Despite there being daily garda speed checks on this stretch and on many other national roads, it appears they are only interested in cars going over 100 Kmh and not concerned with the thousands of trucks travelling daily at 10 Kmh over their permitted 80 Kmh.

@twofor1, in my experience truck drivers are far less likely to tailgate than motorists (middle aged men in SUV's being the most likely).
I agree with you about the lack of enforcement of speed limits on HGV's but in my experience Bus drivers are worse.

I agree with you about the lack of enforcement of speed limits on HGV's but in my experience Bus drivers are worse.
I see buses doing many things that they should not do, but speeding is not usually one of them on national roads and motorways anyway, they are all fitted with speed limiters. Single or double deck buses which are not designed to carry standing passengers can legally travel at 100 Kmh on national roads and motorways where no lower speed limit applies.

Last edited:
I had an accident many years ago, a lorry was tailgating me in the middle lane and I moved over to the left lane as he was making me very uncomfortable, 2 mins later he went to change lanes himself and ploughed into me and drove me into a thankfully very long and half empty slip road. There but for the grace of God etc. Hence I am very wary of tailgaters and lorries since then. Non- national, new in the country and it turned out he had no real experience of driving right hand drives.

My experience is that there are good and bad lorry drivers, mostly the former but too many of the latter and the size, speed and weight of their vehicles make them lethal

Having said that, the real eejits are Audi, BMW and Passat drivers who think they own the road and we are all in their way. Not sure what is worse, someone driving a battered 20 year old Passat which quite possibly may not even be insured or some hot shot very important sales dude rushing to his next appointment and driving like an looney. People pass their test on a 1.2l hatchback and then think they can drive like a rally driver

And don't get me started on tractors on the motor way

Having said that, the real eejits are Audi, BMW and Passat drivers who think they own the road and we are all in their way
But I do own the road ! That's what I pay my tax for... :D

but seriously - referring to all drivers who drive a certain make / model of car as eejits ? If I drove a VW golf estate, I'm not an eejit, but my wife who drives the VW passat, is an eejit :rolleyes: .

It's not fair that you pick only one model of VW & classify them as such, but all the models of BMW and Audi... or maybe I'm just an eejit for replying to this thread :oops:

but seriously - referring to all drivers who drive a certain make / model of car as eejits ? If I drove a VW golf estate, I'm not an eejit, but my wife who drives the VW passat, is an eejit :rolleyes: .
It's amazing how some forms of bias and bigotry are acceptable and others aren't and I'm as guilty of doing it as anyone else. If someone posted that comment about BMW or Audi drivers and instead referred to women they'd rightly be castigated even though if you are going to make generalisations then gender is factually a more logical distinction to pick than car brand since looked at in large cohorts women and men do behave differently.

The problem for men is that women are statistically safer drivers.

It's amazing how some forms of bias and bigotry are acceptable and others aren't and I'm as guilty of doing it as anyone else
I take your point & gender wasn't meant to enter into the discussion in that way BUT I see it as a valid point of view, so will change it in my original post so as to eliminate such being taken in a way that it wasn't meant to be portrayed.

Actually I can't edit the original (assume cos it's quoted / or time expiry)... :(

I take your point & gender wasn't meant to enter into the discussion in that way BUT I see it as a valid point of view, so will change it in my original post so as to eliminate such being taken in a way that it wasn't meant to be portrayed.

Actually I can't edit the original (assume cos it's quoted / or time expiry)... :(
It's there as a shameful black mark against your character FOREVER! :p

It's there as a shameful black mark against your character FOREVER!
I know but that black mark is nothing in comparison to the self imposed shame that I am feeling since that view of yours was brought to light... my head is hanging low... so very low...

Back