Building Society Cheque lost

brodiebabe

Doe anyone know what I can do in this situation. I removed money in the form of a cheque from my EBS account. It was made out in a friends name (it was a wedding present). Now the friend has told me she has misplaced the cheque. Can EBS cancel the cheque and re-issue one?

You should contact the EBS to cancel the cheque ASAP. If it has not been cashed already (fraudulently or otherwise) then you should be OK. Otherwise it may be a matter for the Gardaí. There may be a charge for cancelling the cheque and/or reissuuing it.

If it was a draft you may have a problem - as far as I know banks don't cancel drafts due to some difference in the status of cheques and drafts.

As ClubMan says above - contact EBS first and see what they say when you explain the situation to them.

z

I rang customer services in EBS and they said what I need to do is get a written note signed by the person the cheque was made out to saying it is lost and then a written note from myself saying the cheque is to be cancelled and re-issued. I will let you know how I get on when I go in to my local branch though. Should be fine, I imagine it is quite a common occurance.

Can you clarify if it was a cheque (from your own chequebook) or a draft? I don't see why you should need the signature of the recipient in order to cancel this payment. If the cheque/draft is lost then it should be cancelled as a matter of urgency so you should drop into the branch ASAP and get it sorted.

ClubMan said:
Can you clarify if it was a cheque (from your own chequebook) or a draft? I don't see why you should need the signature of the recipient in order to cancel this payment. If the cheque/draft is lost then it should be cancelled as a matter of urgency so you should drop into the branch ASAP and get it sorted.

EBS don't actually issue drafts they issue cheques. It was not a personal cheque from my cheque book but one that they issue.

ClubMan said:
If the cheque/draft is lost then it should be cancelled as a matter of urgency so you should drop into the branch ASAP and get it sorted.

Won't be able to get to the branch until next week. It is crossed and made out to someone so I am presuming it won't be able to be lodged to someone else's account.

moneyhoney said:
Sounds like a draft - First Active do this too - they call them a 'First Active Cheque'.

They don't charge for them. I thought you pay about €1.50 for a draft. Maybe they call them "cheques" because they are not banks so they can not issue "bank drafts".

brodiebabe said:
Won't be able to get to the branch until next week. It is crossed and made out to someone so I am presuming it won't be able to be lodged to someone else's account.
I wouldn't assume anything with a lost cheque/draft and would drop everything in order to make sure that the payment was cancelled.

Back