Building regs, space heating requirements

Whiskey

I've been familiarising myself with the regs for several weeks with a view to building a house in the future

One thing I'm very interested in is space heating requirements i.e. 15kw/sq meter/ year as in the passive house standard

I can't see anywhere in the building regs where space heating requirements are mentioned........I wonder why ?

I don't see much anywhere about maximum allowable u values for walls/windows/ceilings, or measures of airtightness which the house must achieve.

I don't see much anywhere about maximum allowable u values for walls/windows/ceilings, or measures of airtightness which the house must achieve.

Take a look a TGD L.
I'll try and post a reference later if I get time!
Note that Passive House is a German standard. It will not appear in Irish Building Regulations.

These references to current TGD L might help:
Air tightness 0.1.2 (d), 0.1.7(b), 1.5.4.1, 1.5.4.4

Space Heating 1.2.1, 1.4.1.1, 1.4.2.1, 1.4.3 - 2.2.3

Maximum U value 1.3.2.3, Table 1, Diagram, Appendix D: D1

Air tightness technical construction details similar to UK Robust details are featured in documents on Enviro web site. You can download these drawings to get examples showing how to install the air tight membrane and floor, wall & roof insulation details.

It is great to see the OP taking an active interest in the detailing of his / her proposed home. I would advise that the OP seek comprehensive impartial professional advice.

Back