Building costs in Dublin

DaveD

Anyone any idea of the cost per square foot of getting an extension built in Dublin these days. Thinking of a about 380sqft single storey added to the back of the house, no kitchen or bathrooms, only plumbing needed it the extra radiators. One wall would be mostly glazed.

Hi DaveD

Prices as well as builders will vary significantly and the price per square foot / meter is not very reliable as factors always vary.

Give exact plans and specifications to a least three local contractors and get actual quotes

Anyone any idea of the cost per square foot of getting an extension built in Dublin these days. Thinking of a about 380sqft single storey added to the back of the house, no kitchen or bathrooms, only plumbing needed it the extra radiators. One wall would be mostly glazed.

Glazed wall is standard french doors and window panels? Bifolding doors? Concertina doors? Any Velux? What size? Budget 28 - 35 K.

A.

No point in getting plans and specs drawn up Peter without a vague idea of costs 20k or 100k, it may not even be an option.

Thanks Ali, the "glazed wall" would have to be either bifolding doors or concertina doors that fold almost all the way back to, approx 5metres in width. I'm sure these add significantly to the cost. No Velux windows at the moment!

Thanks Ali, the "glazed wall" would have to be either bifolding doors or concertina doors that fold almost all the way back to, approx 5metres in width. I'm sure these add significantly to the cost. No Velux windows at the moment!

Depending on the span, the difference could be considerable. From about €3,500 difference up.

A.

You cannot get a meaningful reply on that level of information.

Its relatively small tight work and needs marrying in to existing structures as well as demolitions, carting away and recommissioning of services.
Starting costs for overall work in Dublin could be €100 per square foot proced very tight with no extras and no difficulties on site.
With a building that size, you may run into problems if there's drainage out the back or side, whether its public or private.

And you'd want to watch where you're building close to the boundary and check you're still exempted if not permitted.
40 sqm is the total exempted development area and this relates back to the original plan of the house.

---------------------------

Oh I've just seen your intention about to put in the bi-folding doors.
You're talking large span beans, weathered threshold not stepped [assumed], expensive doors.
If that specification is any indication of your general standard of finish, you can forget about keeping it to €100 per square foot.

ONQ
http://www.environ.ie/en/Publications/DevelopmentandHousing/BuildingStandards/FileDownLoad,22447,en.pdf (<br />)[broken link removed]

All advice on AAM is remote from the situation and cannot be relied upon as a defence or support - in and of itself - should legal action be taken.
Competent legal and building professionals should be asked to advise in Real Life with rights to inspect and issue reports on the matters at hand.

Really you need to make sure you know what it is you want and stick to it. If you go swapping and changing during construction you will pay through the nose for this as the builder will go to town on you with extras. There is an old saying in the building trade "the price was great but the extras killed me". If you keep this in mind you wont go too far wrong but remember everytime you change something during construction it takes time and as we all know the materials you can budget for but the labour can get out of hand very quickly if allowed.

So please bear this in mind when choosing a builder and price, as the cheapest price is not always the best.

€100 per sqft would be about right but that will soon become €120-€150 with changes so be careful.

build4less

Thanks folks, got rough prices for 5m of folding doors ranging from €5k (Bonner Windows) to €15k (Futurefold) plus VAT, no doubt the dearer ones are 3 times better! Have to get some plans drawn up but the doors will be the only out of the ordinary element. When I get a quote I'll post it here.

Thanks folks, got rough prices for 5m of folding doors ranging from €5k (Bonner Windows) to €15k (Futurefold) plus VAT, no doubt the dearer ones are 3 times better! Have to get some plans drawn up but the doors will be the only out of the ordinary element. When I get a quote I'll post it here.

Just be careful what you're getting quoted for. :)
Will this include delivery to site, placement at the location, fitting the doors and making good?
It's important to know.
Plus as I said, you'll need to have a properly designed support beam to fix the door rail to and a proper threshold detail to avoid water penetration.

ONQ
http://www.environ.ie/en/Publications/DevelopmentandHousing/BuildingStandards/FileDownLoad,22447,en.pdf (<br />)[broken link removed]

All advice on AAM is remote from the situation and cannot be relied upon as a defence or support - in and of itself - should legal action be taken.
Competent legal and building professionals should be asked to advise in Real Life with rights to inspect and issue reports on the matters at hand.

Just be careful what you're getting quoted for. :)
Will this include delivery to site, placement at the location, fitting the doors and making good?
It's important to know.
Plus as I said, you'll need to have a properly designed support beam to fix the door rail to and a proper threshold detail to avoid water penetration.

ONQ

Thanks ONQ, both prices do indeed include delivery and installation and both have detailed drawings for the threshold etc for the builders to follow. I'm at a loss to explain the 300% difference in price though, both timber framed 5 panel doors with similar U values. Haven't seen either yet but I'm no expect anyway, maybe the 15k ones are more durable or more suited to frequent commercial use.

Dave - can I ask what UV values you've been given for the above doors. I'm getting something similar 4m of bi-folding. Price wise I've had similar quotes ie huge spread. Best UV so far is 1.4 , this is a 68mm laminated timber door. Thanks

Back