building a sunroom to the rear of my semi d house. Do I need planning permission?

bpi

Im planning on building a sunroom to the rear of my semi d house. Ive been advised that I do not need PP if the sunroom comes out directly behind the house(therefore the side access remains unchanged) However, I want to build it across the back of the house to meet the boundary wall with a door from the side passage of the house directly into the sunroom (I hope this is making sense!)

There are no pp problems with the size of the room, my fear is that I will have trouble with the location, ie blocking access to the rear garden......anyone know where I stand???(my builders advice is not to worry about it, I can always get PP later!!!)

Re: Do I need planning permission?

I built a shomera earlier in the year. I got an exemption certificate for planning permission from a planning engineer. Only cost €242.

Past30

If the sunroom sticks out to the side of the house (i.e. if it can been seen from the front), it will require Planning

I Agree with Superman.

If it extends out to the side then it effects the front elevation. No exemption there. I doubt it will be a problem with the access to the back, It might be a problem with ownership of the boundary wall and your next door neighbour.

If you scale it back so it doesnt extend all the way to the boundary, you could be exempt if its under the 40sqm allowed (including any extensions in the past)

If you go ahead without PP, expect to have your neighbours / planning officer down your throat.

Thanks Dundhoone, it is under the 40 sq.m regulation and Ive talked to the neighbours and they have no issue. The side of the house is not actually visible from the road but I agree with yourself and others that I probably still need to get PP or build the structure further in to the garden.

Thanks again.

Back