Builders bonds in relation to unfinished estates

It would be most unusual for a Local Authority to issue planning for a development and not seek levies - they're usually scattered through the planning permission like little nuggets. Read each Condition in the Planning document and you should see them crop up. There should also be mention of a bond, the duration of same and the amount to be covered. In my experience working for a developer, we had to furnish proof of payment for all levies to purchasers solicitors pre-closing. I'd start with your solicitor who should (a) have a copy of the PP and (b) proof of payment of any levies which they would have sought as part of the process.

Also, if the establishment of a Management Company was part of the PP, then you cannot compel the Local Authority to take the development in change once it has been completed. I successfully got a South East LA to take over an estate where they forgot to insert this clause. It took me 18 months of screaming, shouting, threatening legal action and tormenting the County Manager and his team.

Back