Builder: What do I check with a builder before he starts the job?

Status
Not open for further replies.
If they want to help great if not so be it, but I find most people very helpful even you rainyday sometimes, PS I will keep some of my saved money for a Rainyday,

aww lads, I looked at this post and saw how many replies there were to it and thought brilliant, there might be loads of good advice there for when we go looking for a builder for when we finally get to that stage in building our house. Have to say I'm disappionted that discussions can deteriorate so quickly into a slagging match. Says a lot about society today. Thankfully though, there is at least one decent post, from the unregistered guest there, no. 3. Pity about the rest being like a verbal fistfight.

Oulu here I am big enough to say lets get on with what this board is for and sorry for wasting people's time like griffid , I rang the planning office and they told me That you cant use a boundary wall as part of new extension you must build a new wall against the boundary wall, hope this help also I have 3 builders coming up in the next week and I will post quotes so hope it helps you griffid, these builders have all been recommended, cheers and as the song goes give peace a chance

Well, I think it's a useful discussion. I totally agree with Rainyday, and I'm not po-faced at all, just willing to pay honest money for an honest job. I don't expect to get cash in hand for my monthly salary and I don't expect to pay it out either. This sort of attitude has made employing a builder so much more difficult, it's now all about 'who you know' and how you can discuss the cash in 'builders language'. Call me naive, but I want to ring up a tradesman, get an estimate of how much the job will cost, and, if there are no major changes revealed along the way, pay the going rate. Utopian???

I still believe there is nobody on this site who can honestly say that they never got a job done or did a job and the money transfer was cash in hand,the amount of money does not come into it but rather the act of not paying tax, If Rainyday had just said not a good idea without adding the little extra's that would of been recieved on good terms by me, but he did not, remember those who cast the first stone and all that, so far 1 builder gave price of 29000, throught the books and an other who was recommended gave 22000, you guessed without paying tax, so now the angle on the left shoulder is fighting a losing battle with the devil on the right shoulder, but who knows thanks anyway

Unregistered said:
I still believe there is nobody on this site who can honestly say that they never got a job done or did a job and the money transfer was cash in hand,the amount of money does not come into it but rather the act of not paying tax, If Rainyday had just said not a good idea without adding the little extra's that would of been recieved on good terms by me, but he did not, remember those who cast the first stone and all that, so far 1 builder gave price of 29000, throught the books and an other who was recommended gave 22000, you guessed without paying tax, so now the angle on the left shoulder is fighting a losing battle with the devil on the right shoulder, but who knows thanks anyway
sorry angel on left shoulder

Unregistered said:
I still believe there is nobody on this site who can honestly say that they never got a job done or did a job and the money transfer was cash in hand,the amount of money does not come into it but rather the act of not paying tax,
Have I done it in the past? Yes - many years ago. In fact, this concept was first introduced to me by no less than a solicitor, who suggested a lower charge for cash when I balked at his fee for a solicitors letter. Have I done it in recent years? No.

Unregistered said:
If Rainyday had just said not a good idea without adding the little extra's that would of been recieved on good terms by me, but he did not,
In all fairness, I have to point out that my first comment on this thread was a simple direct question. When you came back with your 'lol' response that indicates that tax evasion is a bit of a giggle, then I came out all guns blazing.

Unregistered said:
so far 1 builder gave price of 29000, throught the books and an other who was recommended gave 22000, you guessed without paying tax, so now the angle on the left shoulder is fighting a losing battle with the devil on the right shoulder, but who knows thanks anyway
If you wont take on board the ethical arguement, consider the practical issues outlined by Ubiquitous above. If the dodgy builder is prepared to rip off the taxman (and the rest of us by extension), do you think he'll think twice about ripping you off too?

Hi Lads,

Sorry to intervene but we appear to have gone off subject here which seems to be an interesting one and of benefit to other contributors.

Oulu appears to be aware of the pitfalls involved in this dangerous cash in hand route which has been emphasised many times on AAM and the legal advice offered by MOB in this previous thread on Bricklaying may confirm the serious risks involved.

In the meantime I have opened a new thread here and hope that we can get back on track now.

Thanks,

Sueellen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back