Builder snagging property himself?

heather

We're in the closing stages of buying a new apartment, and were informed today that we wouldnt be allowed to snag the property as the builder has already snagged it, and fixed anything they found was wrong with it. The developer has assured us that if we find anything else upon closing that they'll come in and fix whatever it may be, is this normal? Would you feel confident closing without snagging yourself?

I'd tell him to get stuffed!!

The cheek of it! You have a right to have the snagging done by an independent surveyor/snagger - having seen the absolute state of some 'finished' properties, I would take any builder's assertions that the snagging was done properly with, oh, a mountain of salt.

Heather,

From my experience and from what I have read on this site there is absolutely no way I would close the purchase of a new property without, at the very minimum, snagging it myself and ideally getting a professional to snag it.

Check your contract for purchase and / or consult your solicitor because if I remember the standard new build purchase agreement includes a clause that allows you have any substantial defects remedied prior to closing.

In my opinion your builder is trying to pull a fast one! And, any commitments to remedy defects post closing the sale, unless they are in writing, are worthless.

BTW who told you that you would not be allowed to snag ? - the builder, the estate agent, the site foreman or your solicitor?

I've heard it all now!

Heather, take a look around here for some nightmare stories about problems with new builds - you'll be shocked and it'll leave you thinking it'd be pure madness to take the word of a builder that its up to scratch. This is one of the biggest investments of your life so don't sign away your chance to ensure its up to scratch. Bring a knowledgeable friend or professional along for the snagging and you'll be amazed at what they'll find.

You have a legal right to snag the property BEFORE closing so get your solicitor on their case if needs be. Can't believe the builder had the cheek to even try this but good luck with putting him in his place!

The builder through the selling agent. I've been dying to move in, but dont want to take any chances either

Hi Heather,

I understand completely that you are very anxious to move in. My partner and I waited 15 months to get our place but I would advise you 100% to either snag it yourself or get a professional. Our builder snagged it himself but we also did it with a few friends. We found quite a few minor problems which were rectified (luckily) immediately. Please be patient and get it done. You'll be glad you did.

Best of luck.

Talk to your solicitor. Get their advice on the issue, and raise it with the vendor's solicitor. Don't be bullied by the builder or the estate agent.

Totally agree with all the advice here and as OhPinchy said, I've heard it all now. Snag it yourself with somebody who knows the sort of things to look for or get a professional snagger! The minor defects can certainly be sorted after you move in but I wouldn't close if any major defects are found.

Every estate will have a finishing foreman who will run the snagging team, they will generally come in and snag the home themselves prior to the client being notified that the house is ready to be snagged.

You compile your snag list issue it to the builder, they fix the items on the list and tell you everything has been fixed. You then go back check that everything has actually been fixed and make a note of everything that has not been fixed or any new items that have cropped up. You then issue a revised snag list to the builder, they will then fix the remaining items and everything should be fine.

But depending on the builder you may have to do a third or fourth revision to the snag list.

Also if they promise to fix some things after you sign, check with some of your new neighbours first see how they have got on getting things fixed. Some builders are great at following up but others aren't.

Best of luck with the new home!

Cheers

Fintan

www.HomeSnag.ie

Thanks everyone, I'm going to call them now and tell them I'm not willing to close without snagging

Not Allowed to snag or carry out a survey???

Hi,
I hope I have posted in the correct forum. New to this site.
Story so far: I put a deposit down in Feb on a show apartment in a new estate. The apartment is ready to move in and fully furnished. I waited four months to receive the contract which finally arrived last week. My solicitor has sent off a few contract queries. I arranged with a survey company to get the apartment surveyed and snagged before the solictor sent back the signed first contract to speed up what has turned into a snail paced process. The survey company told me he knew the site foreman and would arrange everything with him. The survey company came back to me and told me that the foreman would not let him carry out the survey and snag. I rang the foreman up myself and he told me that the developers solcitor has said that I CANNOT CARRY OUT A SURVEY OR A SNAG LIST ON THE APARTMENT!!!!!!!!!!! I couldn't believe what he said. Then he said that maybe I could submit a small list. I told him that I was not fussy and that I just wanted to make sure that any major defects like gas/ ESB/ plumbing are ok. What is he hiding??? I called my solictor about this and they haven't got back to me yet. I am a first time buyer and just want somewhere to live after a decade of renting. I had decide that day before the phone call not to get the survey done and just get the snag done. Now I don't know. What use is a survey???
Are they trying to make me pull out. I have read loads of treads about this particular development and they are not good.

What are my legal rights to been allowed to have a snag and a survey carried out and when are they normally carried out. I don't understand why they need to be done after the first contract as you are legally obliged to buy the property or forfit the deposit. I think I might start looking for another apartment somewhere else but don't really. Please help........

Back