builder guarantee

J

Jim

I've just had a big extenstion built to my home. 99% complete and I still have to pay the buider about 10k balance but before doing so I want to get some written guarantee from him regarding the work. As I've spent more on this work than I bought the house for 9 years ago I think it makes sense to be coverd. Has anyone had work completed recently and if so what would they advise me to get in writing from the builder on completion?

If electrics or rewiring is involved you should ask for certification that these have been done by/checked by a registered electrician.

If foundations were laid or any new walls erected these must comply with local Building Regulations.

All aspects of the build are presumably agreed to and checked by the local planning department and a certificate from the Council on their final inspection confirms all planning regulations and Building Regulations have been complied with.

As far as your relationship with the builder and his work is concerned its a good idea to ensure that everything is complete before you hand over the last tranch of the money and wait until you have the certification before completing that final payment.

Back