builder drops tools and leaves (any options)

Bikini Widow

Hi all,

Looking for guidance.

I have/had a builder completing a garage and rear extension.

Long story short
1. He went hugely overdue
2. Told me he had no more money to complete
3. Asked for completion money
4. After humming and hawing I gave him a % of same
5. Nothing happened workwise and then he asked for remainder
6. I refused and he left and tried to keep feeding me lies about coming back and then not showing up

My concerns
1. I need certs from him for (boiler, electrics and house)
2. Engineer cert I am good for
3. He no longer takes call or answers in any way
4. Hoarding is still up and back garden is scattered with scaffold, bricks and god knows what

Question : Apart from engaging a solicitor is there any other options to get certs and or get builder to complete or force an agreement from him to draw a line in sand so we can properly part ways?

Many thanks,
BW

just to add the electrician and plumber have not been paid by him and are trying to get their money from me also.
Even though they are wholly contracted to him and I already paid builder for their services.

Start writing to him. You will need to as I’d say you will have to get law involved.

Plumber and electrician will not supply certs till they get paid so you've on a loser regarding them either way. Write off the rest and get someone to complete. Is there a reason you need certs apart form maybe sale in the future ?

Hi Elcato,

No plans to sell but would like to have paperwork in order in case plans ever change.

For the gas I am on to RGI and you are 100% right the plumber (happens to be the builders cousin) is saying to RGI he will not cert till he is paid. For all I know he may already have been paid and is looking to take advantage.

Q. How important is the builders cert of compliance? Is it only for selling? And if so is it an actual concern if I have engineer cert?

Thanks
BW

In my limited experience, I have never asked or been asked to supply it(gas or electricity). I have bought twice and sold once but the builders cert is probably needed for a sale later on.

Q. How important is the builders cert of compliance? Is it only for selling? And if so is it an actual concern if I have engineer cert?
If you're talking about certs of compliance with planning and/or building regulations then you will need an architect/engineer/technician/surveyor to issue those. A lot depends on what size the extension was and if you had submitted commencement notice under BCMS and if you had any supervision/inspections carried out by your own professional.

Plumbing shouldnt be a problem but it will cost a little more to get another qualified man to issue his own cert if he is happy that everything is in order. Same goes for electrics. RECI will sort that out but again only if its right and it will cost you.

Back