Builder - additional covid costs

Landlorder

Hi,
Signed contract in summer 2020 for some home renovation (so covid was known issue) and price set. There is mention of force majore in the contract but just says failure to complete or delay on project due to pandemic.

Recently builder has come back asking we in addition split cost for onsite toilet for their staff considering covid. It will probably be in the region of 450 euros in addition. I would have thought this was a cost incurred by the builder in this case?

Not sure how the trade normally work in this regard of onsite facilities generally.

Any thoughts appreciated as I would not have expected this additional ask considering contract is signed.

Thanks

Force majore covers unforeseen circumstances, by Summer last year, Covid was pretty well known!

This is small money, I'd be wary that giving in too easily will open the flood gates.

They aren't worried about potential covid in any part of your house except for the toilet? And they are willing to share a portaloo instead? I'd echo what Leo said, giving in too easily and you may find yourself getting other bills that weren't agreed with beforehand, all with the excuse of covid.

We had work done during the summer (outside) and the guys used the toilet in a local coffee shop.

Now they can’t do that because the places are closed other than for takeaway.

Thanks all - ill leave it 'hang' a while and see what comes.. Looks like it will be delayed now in any case - sites surely will close

Just to update - we never responded to the request and just left it at that. Builder did not mention it again. They are onsite and working away without Portaloo. Interestingly there is renovations across our street and portaloo is in situ. Guess they did not want to incur the cost.

From my own point of view I think it was a bit bolshy to try and add this on considering they should be on top of health and safety and covid was well known issue at time of contract.

Thanks for the advice

Portaloo may not be on your site, but they could still be going to the toilet on your site. Follow your nose ;)

Force majore covers unforeseen circumstances, by Summer last year, Covid was pretty well known!

This is small money, I'd be wary that giving in too easily will open the flood gates.
This is an interesting point.

I would have thought that if the builder made a claim in relation to Covid costs and the client paid that, the client would then be in a better position to resist further claims.

Having made a Covid related claim and having paid for it the builder could not then get another bite at that cherry. At €450 it would be a very small cost for any claim.

Just to update - we never responded to the request and just left it at that.
A much underestimated strategy.

A lot of life's problems will go away by themselves if you ignore them, whereas anything that is constantly picked at festers. Albert Reynolds and the period of 'masterful inactivity'

I would have thought that if the builder made a claim in relation to Covid costs and the client paid that, the client would then be in a better position to resist further claims.

I could have been clearer, the costs for an unforeseen Covid impact might have just been testing the waters. If the OP had conceded that, the builder may have found a series of other unforeseen circumstances that required more money. Not that all builders are like that at all, but I'd be concerned about one who couldn't foresee a pandemic many months in!

Back