Buenos Aires?

Haven't been there since 1996, but was there for nearly 3 months at that time. Great city, really great city ... provided you weren't broke.

The people were lovely, so laid back and friendly - taxi drivers were a different story - maniacs!, I still remember my daughter (only aged 8 then) screaming her head off when our taxi driver was having a fight with a taxi driver in the adjacent lane, involving much switching of lanes, emergency stops etc. It was like these perfectly calm people completely lost their heads once they got behind the wheel of a car!

It's a picturesque place, there's a reasonable train service so you can get out of town for a while. There are a whole lot of places (i.e. other countries) that you could live that wouldn't be anything like as nice.

Could you be a bit more specific with your question? Are you really asking about property, restaurants, schools, transport, weather or what?

And if you move there but want the odd Irish visitor, please pm me your address ... !

Thanks for your advice Tree Tiger. I have been working on a short documentary part time for the past year and now I would like to live in a cheap county for a couple of months so I can work on it fulltime. My main requirement is to be able to get decent broadband speeds and find a city where I can survive on about 1,200 euro a month. I heard Buenos Aires is pretty cheap and has great night life.. What you think am I mad?

Obviously I'm biased, but you could live in almost any CEE city (e.g. Bp, Ljubljana, Tallinn, Krakow, Prague (if you're careful), Warsaw) for less than €1,200 per month, with no visa requirements and it's a lot easier and cheaper to commute back and forth to Ireland if/when it's necessary. That said, Buenos Aires would be amazing too!

The most excepotional thing about Buenos Aires is the traffic speed. All drivers think that they are of Grand Prix standard. I have been in a taxi at 100mph on the main st (4th of July St), late at night. Scary or what?

I heard Buenos Aires is pretty cheap and has great night life..
Not in 1996 it wasn't! Prices for us were horrendous then. But the peso was tied to the dollar at that time and I think things have changed. I remember paying about 12 dollars each for pizzas for my kids, you'd probably pay quite a bit less now.

Night life started pretty late, in fact restaurants only really got going at the time I'd be leaving to bring my kids back to the hotel. Another funny thing about restaurants was that the food arrived as it was ready, so if there was a large group of you, someone could be on their dessert by the time another person got their starter!

If you're into meat (I'm vegetarian), you'll find Argentine beef fantastic, my other half just loved it.

whats the best time of year to visit BA ? or the worst time ?

BA's a great city; especialy if if you're paid in dollars or euro. Hannibal Lector lives there, so you never know who you might meet.

Definitely the place to spend 3 months or longer. Great food & wine at 30% of Irish prices.Great night life, A city of 12 million but traffic flows smoothly & rarely are there major tail backs. A bit like Rome or Paris in terms of architecture. Wonderful street markets particularly San Telmo.Great weather particularly Feb, March & April.People are friendly & even the macho men kiss each other all the time. Taxis are everywhere & so cheap but they are crazy drivers.
On the downside muggings are fairly common & whilst property is cheap both buying & renting costs have increased apidly in recent years.
Go there you'll not regret it.

BA is an amazing place. Its one of the best places I have ever been to. The nightlife is off the charts if you are into that, the club scene is probably the best of any city in the world. If you like steak as I do well then you are in for a heavenly experience night after night!. For fans of football its a great city too with famous clubs like Boca Juniors, River Plate and Independiente at your doorstep. The summer in BA starts around December and ends around March. Temperatures in that period are roughly between 20-30 Celcius and in my experience it was never uncomfortably hot. The shopping too is brillant there especially for leather products and designer suits at knockdown prices with the advantage of Milan like quality. All in all a great place that I would strongly recommend especially to people who share interests as outlined above.

....................... and find a city where I can survive on about 1,200 euro a month. I heard Buenos Aires is pretty cheap and has great night life.. What you think am I mad?

Whats the average wage in BA ? There are places in the world where its possible to live much more cheaply than 1,200 euro a month. Is 1200 a number plucked out of your maximum budget ? have you figured out whats the minimum needed to have a good lifestyle there ?

I would have thought that if you are only planning to stay for a couple of months (ie 2 or 3) and want to budget for 1200 euro a month then it would make more sense to say in CEE as stated by a previous poster, thus saving yourself the cost of an expensive flight.

whats the minimum you could live on ? for example how much does it cost to rent a one bed/studio apartment or hotel room in a good location of BA ?

Back