Budget Announcement

rustbucket

Irrespective of the details of the announcements (some annoyed me more than others) what annoyed me the most is the attitude of a large proportion of TD's during what is the most important announcement in the Dail each year.

1. The amount of heckling and clownish behaviour that goes on while the announcements are being made. Is this the type of behaviour we should expect from our local and national representatives?

2. It looked like the Dail was not full and worse than that people were getting up and leaving during announcements.

Is it not mandatory to be in Leinster House on budget day?

The most annoying is the first one to stand up and say that the 'brunt of the budget cuts wil be suffered by the middle-income families'. The same sentence is repeated every year without fail. It used to be Joan Burton while she was in the opposition.

Is it not mandatory to be in Leinster House on budget day?

There's more than a few that could be given a day off without being missed. I have never heard of attendance being mandatory. Party whips ensure attendance for votes. The Dáil is generally empty for debates, such as the Budget.

It used to be Joan Burton while she was in the opposition.

In fairness, I think she used to say "Can I just say .. the brunt of the budget cuts wil be suffered by the middle-income families".

Joan Burton has been worse than useless in government (actually Howlin probably worse). I remember her harping on about means testing child benefit which I agree with. She has done nothing to fix this since she came to power. If it's an IT system issue, get it fixed/enhanced!

I watched for 5 mins and gave up, to think those TD's are claiming a fortune for sitting there doing what?

Back