Budget 2027 - ETF changes

AJAM

Registered User
Messages
574
"Moving onto the existing taxation regime for retail investment. As I have said many times, the introduction of the investment account does not replace the need to review and reform the broader framework.

This year I will take action to simplify the legislation underpinning it – providing clarity regarding how tax on investments such as ETFs operates.

In addition, I am pleased to announce a reduction in the rates of tax that apply to investors in Irish and equivalent offshore funds, and Irish and foreign life assurance products, including Investment Undertaking Tax and Life Assurance Exit Tax, from 38 percent to 35 percent from 1 January 2027.

We will now continue the work on the wider regime, including the rate of taxation, deemed disposal and the administrative burden facing investors, and I intend to make further progress on removing barriers to investment."
 
This year I will take action to simplify the legislation underpinning it – providing clarity regarding how tax on investments such as ETFs operates.
What points do we think need clarity?

US vs Irish-domiciled ETFs - it's clear than Irish-domiciled ETFs are subject to DD/exit tax, it's not clear for others.

Monthly investments - clarify that losses on ETF bought in Jan can be offset against gains on same ETF bought in Feb.

Investment trusts - clearly say whether they are subject to CGT or exit tax.
 
Last edited:
Presume no reason not to continue investing in etfs after the budget..Will allocate 12 k to simonsaver next July but have a chunk of cash sitting on deposit at the moment. People think degiro OK for over 100k in etfs?
 
This year I will take action to simplify the legislation
Does this year mean 2026, in the Finance Bill? Or this coming year until the next budget?

There are no specific changes mentioned in this Budget other than the tax rate.
 
Last edited:
ETFs should be treated as a listed share, also losses should be allowed carried forward, if sold, against future gains and the same annual credit of 1270 should apply.
 
Back
Top