Budapest - repairing/replacing windows, any recommendations?

collis

Hi Folks,

looking to repair or if necessary replace the classic wooden type double windows in a Budapest apartment. Basically, they are no longer airtight apparently. If someone has tried to get this done already would appreciate any pointers towards suppliers or tradesmen. Thanks.

C

I'm guessing that they were never really air-tight :) If they're not visibly damaged, it's sometimes possible to put some strip insulation tape on the inside edge of each window. This isn't a perfect solution and often peels off again, but may be a cheaper solution. Replacing windows can be quite expensive. Most have to be made bespoke, as window styles vary so much in Budapest.

My friend had a full apartment window refit 2 years ago.. was very happy with the complete job and professionalism shown.He used a helpers crowd to locate and liaise with a window crowd for a little commission - thats 1 option for you, google helpers in Budapest for foreigners and result will be had. i cannot post URLS

Thanks , has anyone replaced the inner window only, for example with a PVC job?
This would preserve the outside look and insulate the room at the same time. Just a thought...

I've never seen a combination as most people would just replace both of them with either a new wooden or PVC double-glazed single window as opposed to two different windows.

Budapest is right. Insulation tape can be a good solution if it is installed properly. Our upper neighbor ordered this service from a company and they did a splendid job. Solved dust and noise problems alike (windows are facing a busy street, just like ours). So we'll do the same in our apt. within the next few weeks.

Can't hurt to get a quote, the tenant's not convinced though and is long term so keeping him happy is a consideration too. Can you tell me the company's name?

Thanks a lot.

C

Back