BTWEA and Rent supplement

dcln

Hi,

I was just wondering if I can keep my rent supplement if I apply for back to enterprise allowance?

http://www.welfare.ie/EN/OperationalGuidelines/Pages/btw_eall.aspx

Back to School Clothing & Footwear allowance, Diet Supplement, Rent Supplement or Mortgage Interest Supplement under the Supplementary Welfare Allowance Scheme.
Any increase in income may affect your Rent or Mortgage Interest Supplement. Income in excess of the first €75.00 or weekly earnings you or your spouse or partner get is assessable for Rent or Mortgage Interest Supplement. (Any amount in excess of the €75.00 disregard is assessed at 75%).

I was just on Rents Unit who pay my rent supplement and they said I can not keep my rent supplement but I need to apply for Rental Accommodation Scheme with Local Authority and this way I could keep it somehow...?

Now I have checked with local authority regarding RAS and keeping the rent supplement, so they had no idea what I was talking about as they would only deal with RAS scheme.

I have then check with my local health centre and they confirmed that I can keep my rent supplement for the same duration as BTWEA in the same way as I would keep JA, eg first year @ 100% and the second year @ 75%, subject to any additional income I would receive from business which would reduce the rent supplement (would be assessed on a monthly basis)

I'm delighted now as the Rents unit provided incorrect information (the reason I was enquiring with them is because my rent supplement is being dealt with centrally and not by my local welfare officer)

I would have thought you could keep your rent supplement (although perhaps lose some of it because any extra income). There is a disqualification from SWA for those in full time remunerative employment or self employment, but I would have thought someone on BTWEA would not be considered as in "full time remunerative employment".

You should perhaps get someone to look into this in a bit more detail, i'd suggest contacting the INOU on 01 856 0088

Back