BTEA and rent allowance problem

M

moneyworried

Hi all, I'm new to this site but could really do with some help. It's of great importance.. Well I'm 23 and receiving the BTEA and live with my parents. Due to my parents selling the house and basically kicking me out I'm in a bit of a muddle! To be honest I haven't a clue about these things. Would I qualify for Rent Allownce as I have nowhere to go and no savings whatsoever?? My doctor has written a letter for me for the S.W officer whom I've to see in the next few days. Any help would be mst grateful. thanks

To apply for Rent allownace, you first must have a place to live. The amount payable varies from county to city, based on average rent paid in various palces, but you must pay a minmum of 13 Euro. when you have aplace to live, you go to your local Community Welfare Officer at the local Health Centre adn apply for RA. They'll look for evidence of rent payable, etc. Look up the Comhairle website for more detailed info. I don't see what relevance a letter form the doctor has to SW if you are on BTEA.

There are maximum rent limits which apply to rent supplement - if you rent somewhere which exceeds the limit for you, you won't qualify for rent supplement at all. When you find somewhere, contact the Community Welfare Officer for that area to check that the rent is below the limit before you put a deposit on anything. The medical letter may support your application if you have special housing needs which might cost more than the local limits, otherwise it isn't needed.

Back