Brown Thomas very slow to deal with complaint.

SlurrySlump

Before Christmas I made some purchases in Brown Thomas Dublin. One of the items I purchased was faulty. I contacted them shortly after Christmas.

It is now the 9th Of January and I still haven't had the decency of a response from a store manager about my complaint.

I would have thought that a store such as Brown Thomas would want to deal with a complaint as quickly as possible.

Am I expecting too much?

how did you make the complaint, did you bring it back to the store? i have returned plenty of stuff, send it back, get a refund, never needed a store manager.

I had occasion to make a complaint to Brown Thomas. The person I was dealing with was very unhelpful and came across quite superior. In the end I had to take my complaint further up along the chain and eventually it was dealt with as it should have been in the first instance. There appears to be various levels of people you need to get through to get your issue resolved.

Just my view, but 9 January is still “shortly after Christmas”.

It is, but it sends out a bad message to customers that complaints are not a priority. I would have thought that BT's would be eager to find out the cause of complaint and rectify it as soon as possible. It tells you a lot about a company.

have you considered that the OP has not followed the correct procedures? like i said returning items and getting refunds is very easy with them.

I messaged them on their Facebook page. They just would not answer the question that I asked them, instead answered something else. I asked them again and I got the exact same answer, and again the same answer. Just copy and paste.

When they answer, they never give their name, just "customer service". So you never know who you are dealing with. They can hide behind "customer service".

In the end I felt that they were just having a laugh at my expense and were purposely answering with the same answer over and over.

Changed my view of them entirely as a result.

Ah for heaven’s sake. Who goes to Brown Thomas’ Facebook page to chat about a faulty product? And you’re surprised that their responses are generic? Just bring the product back!

Who said I was contacting them about a faulty product? Calm down!

I messaged them on their Facebook page. They just would not answer the question that I asked them, instead answered something else. I asked them again and I got the exact same answer, and again the same answer. Just copy and paste.

When they answer, they never give their name, just "customer service". So you never know who you are dealing with. They can hide behind "customer service".

In the end I felt that they were just having a laugh at my expense and were purposely answering with the same answer over and over.

Changed my view of them entirely as a result.

I’m not at all surprised they did not take you seriously. They probably thought you were winding them up and I would not blame them!

I’m not at all surprised they did not take you seriously. They probably thought you were winding them up and I would not blame them!

I don't follow. I have messaged many companies through their Facebook page and received answers to many queries. I find it great. Always quicker than an email and no hanging on a phone line on a "pay for" low cost phone number.

Unfortunately some companies only use their Facebook page as a form of advertising and the person managing their Facebook page is remote from the company.

Maybe the Brown Thomas staff that manage their Facebook page just kick to touch rather than deal with the enquiry? Good companies will always answer your enquiry and give their name.

I purchased an item in their bedlinen department in Dublin and there was a problem with it. Next time my husband was in Ireland he popped into them with it in a different city that does not stock that product and they immediately gave him a refund. Excellent customer service as far as I'm concerned.

I don't follow. I have messaged many companies through their Facebook page and received answers to many queries. I find it great. Always quicker than an email and no hanging on a phone line on a "pay for" low cost phone number.

Unfortunately some companies only use their Facebook page as a form of advertising and the person managing their Facebook page is remote from the company.

Maybe the Brown Thomas staff that manage their Facebook page just kick to touch rather than deal with the enquiry? Good companies will always answer your enquiry and give their name.

Sorry but Facebook is rightly now seen as a dead duck and not to be taken seriously. It's value as a communication medium has been seriously devalued by cranks and those that seek to embarrass companies into a reaction, generally through hysteria and hyperbole. If Brown Thomas only use Facebook as an advertising portal they are within their rights and are probably correct in doing so. Any decent company will have proper customer service procedures in place that doesn't include having to air their dirty linen in public.

Last edited:
Reactions: Leo
Blackrock1 above says about Brown Thomas "i have returned plenty of stuff, send it back, get a refund, never needed a store manager". He must be very unlucky with his purchases......

In this day and age there is a cost in time and money when people have to return an item to a store. Just saying "sorry" for a damaged item is not enough anymore.

Dealing with a customer service department that passes around a complaint between the team is not good. Someone should take ownership of the complaint, otherwise it can get kicked to touch.

Blackrock1 above says about Brown Thomas "i have returned plenty of stuff, send it back, get a refund, never needed a store manager". He must be very unlucky with his purchases......

In this day and age there is a cost in time and money when people have to return an item to a store. Just saying "sorry" for a damaged item is not enough anymore.

Where did I mention that items were damaged? It was mostly stuff bought online or in store that I decided to return

Back