Brought a house abroad

K

kittykate

Hi
I brought a house in the uk 18 months ago. I have since moved back to Ireland. i am nnow thinking of purchasing a house at home. Am I still eligible for exemption from stamp duty as I am a first time buyer in Ireland. Do I have to tell the bank and gov about the house in the Uk??..Or is this completely illegal?

No - you are not a first time buyer. Making a false declaration that you have never bought a house anywhere in the past is a serious matter. Nobody would recommend it as a prudent strategy.

Well the stamp duty already paid was to the British government. I would presume you would be considerd a first time buyer for buying in Ireland.

No - this is not the case. First time buyer status only applies to people who have not perviously bought a property anywhere, and not just in Ireland.

brodiebabe said:
Well the stamp duty already paid was to the British government. I would presume you would be considerd a first time buyer for buying in Ireland.

Sorry I was wrong, as pointed out by Clubman. Found this on

First time buyers

A first time buyer is defined as a person (or where there is more than one buyer, each person):

• Who has not on any previous occasion, either individually or jointly, purchased or built on his/her own behalf a house in Ireland or abroad;
  • Where the property purchased is occupied by the purchaser or a person on his/her behalf as his/her only or principal place of residence and
  • Where no rent is derived from the property for five years after completion of the current purchase.

You are not a first time buyer...... but if you but a new gaff with a floor area less than 125 sq metres, you will not be liable to stamp duty as an OWNER-OCCUPIER.

Back