Brothel in neighbouring apartment

Status
Not open for further replies.

Susie2017

A friend renting in south co Dublin has realised that she is next door to a brothel. The apt is on the ground floor and there are three other blocks. The brothel workers are Eastern European and were renting another apt in a different block until they were evicted. They left the landlord out of pocket to the tune of 12k. It took the management agent 10 months to get them out via the RTB and now they are back in this block. They obviously like the area! Any ideas of how to encourage them to move on. The Gardai have been notified but cannot assist.

Write to your local Superintendant at the local station giving details of the original report. Ask for a response.

Inform your local TD and councillors and ask them to contact the Guards.

Have I missed something?

Was the criminal charge of running a brothel removed from our Statute books?
Third party running a brothel is illegal. There is quite often people-trafficking too. And even if was not illegal it would be breach of the lease - commercial use of a residential unit :)

Gardai have been informed according to the managing agent. The occupants can plead that they are victims of trafficking. The law is more on their side or so I’m told.

I should ad the agent has months of cctv footage of men going in and out. Gardai not able to help. PTRB a disaster.

More than likely the owner knows nothing about it. If they're paying the rent I doubt the he/she is too worried.

How about your friend speaks to the Gardai herself, rather than taking the word of the managing agent?

I should ad the agent has months of cctv footage of men going in and out. Gardai not able to help. PTRB a disaster.
I don't get this Gardai "not able to help"!

It doesn't seem to me that the brothel keeper needs any help.

It's illegal. No more is needed.

If Gardai continue to refuse to take action following written submissions, take it up with the Ombudsman.

The footage is as clear as day I believe. Men don’t care who sees them. I will pass on the suggestions provided. She is at her wits end with all of this. The RTB are useless.

Try reporting it to a few of the Tabloids, see if they'll cover the story. Once the journalists contact the Gardai, or the local politicans, for a comment on why the won't act - you'll quickly see the issue resolved.

The people who were kidnapped have protections;

With AGS there is no point just calling the station. You have to turn up, insist on making a statement regarding a crime you believe is taking place. Then follow it up with letters to the Superintendent asking what action has been taken. A few visits from the guards and the activity will probably move on to somewhere else.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back