Brookwood, Artane Dublin 5

Sunflower123

HI was just looking at a house in Brookwood, and was wondering if anyone has any views on the area. The house is quiet close to Harmonstown dart station which is great, but on the other hand Ive heard that its not a great area. Id welcome anybodys opinions either good or bad. Thanks

Hi
I know Brookwood quite well. Is it near to the Dart Station in Harmonstown, or is it Brookwood Road or one of the roads off Brookwood Road on the opposite side of the Dart station. It is a great location as it is near to public transport, shops, great primary and secondary schools and the houses are reasonably priced in this area. If it is located more on the Harmonstown side then you need to be a bit more careful as this side of Brookwood is not as nice. You do obiously still have the same amienites but it is not the best of location. Harmonstown would be considered a rough area.

Its brookwood lawn, so its just up off Rosemount Road, it seems quiet enough, where the house is, but im jsut not sure about coming and going from the dart. Perhaps im being over cautious.

Have a look at my post on the Artane/Mask Road thread in this section.

mcb is spot on. The part of Brookwood between Brookwood Ave & St Brigids Road is a very nice area. The part of Brookwood near Harmonstown is a bit less quiet.

the house itself is in a nice quite cul de sac, and all the houses around it are well kept. is it mainly around the shops that theres trouble?

is it mainly around the shops that theres trouble?

It gets less quiet when you go into the council estates in Harmonstown - beyond DART station and MacAuley Park & if you live on a road with through traffic into these areas you may get a small amount of "passing trade". An example of this would be Brookwood Rise which is essentially the same street as Harmonstown Road & Gracefield Ave and Brookwood Crescent which are immediately next to the Harmonstown estates.

You have to understand that this is in an Artane context - what is considered noisy by Artane residents would be very quiet in most Dublin suburbs.

As Brookwood Lawn is a cul-de-sac and not immediately off a street with council housing, then you should not have any problems. Not as quiet as the part of Brookwood off St. Brigids, but we're splitting hairs here. I've had relative live in that part of Brookwood in the past and havent had any problems.

This area of Artane/Raheny is not rough at all. Ask the local Garda Station. This an old mature area the old "harmo" rough image was an eigthies problem.

Brookwood Lawn, Formally Harmonstown Grove.

The tight knit community include members from some north inner city areas.

There is also some second generation house ownership in the area.

The affordable housing in the area allows a single working parent to afford to purchase, which many have.

They have a very active neighborhood watch in operation, so if anything happens on Brookwood Lawn, be assured its seen, heard and noted.

Dumping in the back lanes has been a big issue, however these are great for running businesses.

Music plays a big part in the lives of many of the residents. The residents enjoy a good party and have plenty of stamina to go well into the wee hours.

There has been some crime in the area, mostly bikes stolen, sheds broken into, and was used as a staging area for robbing of the local shops.

Brookwood Lawn kids, their friends, family and other kids from other parts of Brookwood come to play on the green together until late at night.

The Harmonstown train station is about 8 minutes’ walk from Brookwood Lawn and close to many local amenities.

The local pub in Harmonstown has a karaoke night during the week. Its a great night out to meet some of the locals.

Brookwood Lawn, Formally Harmonstown Grove.

The tight knit community include members from some north inner city areas.

There is also some second generation house ownership in the area.

The affordable housing in the area allows a single working parent to afford to purchase, which many have.

They have a very active neighborhood watch in operation, so if anything happens on Brookwood Lawn, be assured its seen, heard and noted.

Dumping in the back lanes has been a big issue, however these are great for running businesses.

Music plays a big part in the lives of many of the residents. The residents enjoy a good party and have plenty of stamina to go well into the wee hours.

There has been some crime in the area, mostly bikes stolen, sheds broken into, and was used as a staging area for robbing of the local shops.

Brookwood Lawn kids, their friends, family and other kids from other parts of Brookwood come to play on the green together until late at night.

Dont know anything about this area. however, if I were considering a move there this answer would leave me quite perplexed :confused:

Written 16th July 2018

Hi there,
For anyone seeking more information regarding the Harmonstown area, please see the points below:

• I have lived in the part of Harmonstown (which borders Raheny) since the beginning of 2017, with my husband & family.
  • We were FTBuyers when we purchased. We had offers on a 4 bed house in Tyrrellstown ("bullet dodged" as that community has really gone downhill in the last 2 years) & another 3 bed in Bayside but we chose our 3 bed in Harmonstown in the end. I'm not from Raheny / Harmonstown, so I was a little apprehensive to decide until I found out more about the community but it turned out to be the best decision we've made. Here's our life:
  • I take the Dart to work in town each day (it's only a 12 minute commute), having walked our son to our local Gaelscoil (Scoil Neasáin, 3 mins walk) who are fantastic!
  • DD started in Manor House school & she loves it (the smaller mortgage that we have here compared to Bayside allows us to provide the best education for our family without any sacrifice to our lifestyle). She gets the bus from around the corner.
    • The area has so much safe green spaces for children to play outside, as well as St. Anne's park within walking distance.
    • My husband flies into work on his bus that practically passes the door. Sometime he has business in the UK & spins up to the airport in about 12/15 mins.
    • We enjoy evenings and weekends at the beach in Howth & Dollymount, Clontarf which are literally down the road.
    • Raheny has a great gym & beautician which I've joined and gotten to know so many local Mums.
    • There's a great local bakery, Butler's pantry & Supervalu walking distance of Harmonstown & Lidl, Woodies, Halfords, Costa, McDonald's & the Cinema are an 8-10 minute drive away, great for the children.
    • Meeting friends is a joy with an abundance of cafe's & restaurants minutes away in Clontarf and Raheny.
    • The garden that came with the house is absolutely enormous and we plan to extend in the coming years to add value. Even after the extension is built our garden will be 4/5 times the size of a new build's garden. You just don't get that in every area.
    • The house is a solid build and isn't like those that shot up on the nineties and noughties meaning sound from neighbours isn't ever an issue.

• I have to admit we did our research before bidding. We asked a friend of a friend who is in local policing his thoughts on the Lein area of Harmonstown. He said he rarely if ever has had any reason to come to this side of Harmonstown (Lein). He said the area is mostly people with young families who've bought recently or the older generation who've raised families here already. The area right in the centre of Edenmore, Raheny would be the only area he knew but the Lein area of Harmonstown is not in or near that area and is regarded as peaceful as (& included in) the borough of Raheny by the authorities.

• I would say the nearer to Raheny one purchases in Harmonstown, the better. You will be nearest all of Raheny's shopping amenities (8 min walk) & its Dart station & the walk there from Harmonstown is greener & nicer (my own preference). The area of Harmonstown that's nearest Raheny is off the Springdale Road after St. Joseph's hospital, Raheny (Lein Park & the part of Lein Road facing the open tree-lined green being the closest & quietest roads) which facilitate walking to this station.
  • We have reduced our debt burden & commuting times by choosing to live here so I hope this helps other people considering buying in this peaceful area.

Back