Broker Recommendation ADD / BUY

• Thread starter hcirnitteg24
  • Start date
H

hcirnitteg24

Can anyone explain a very basic question to me, it has me boggled and I have searched numerous sites for an answer to no avail, whats the difference between the ADD and BUY brokers recommendations, BUY is obviously to buy, but ADD ?

:confused: :confused:

Can anyone explain a very basic question to me, it has me boggled and I have searched numerous sites for an answer to no avail, whats the difference between the ADD and BUY brokers recommendations, BUY is obviously to buy, but ADD ?

:confused: :confused:

Buy is a stronger recommendation than Add, it all depaends on the broker but i think buy means they expect it to grow by more than 15% this year and add means they expect it to grow by at least 5%. Thats my rough idea of what it means

Buy is a stronger recommendation than buy, it all depaends on the broker but i think buy means they expect it to grow by more than 15% this year and add means they expect it to grow by at least 5%. Thats my rough idea of what it means

I think there's a typo in Shane's first line - I reckon it should read "Buy is a stronger recommendation than Add..."

Also depends on the broker using the term. They usually explain it at the bottom of their research.

When the NASDAQ 100 was over 5000 points around March 2000 there was hardly a sell note on any of the stocks, despite farcical valuations. Most of these stocks were covered by numerous brokers. Don't pay too much attention to broker recommendations imo.

From a broker friend:

For a buy rating on a stock the minimum expected upside is 10% in absolute terms over 12 months. For a hold rating the expected downside is below 10% in absolute terms, A reduce rating is applied when there is expected downside on the stock. Ratings are based on a 12 month view.
Add is not a term we use anymore.

It doesn't answer your query unfortunately but he said most brokers have stopped using add as it wasn't a definitive enough term.

Thanks for the advice guys, NCB stockbrokers are still using the ADD term on their broker reports, confusing ...

Do not buy or sell stock on the recommendation of any broker - the only reason they make 'recommendations' is to increase activity and hopefully commissions (if you do business with them). Educate yourself regarding the workings of the market.

I always assumed that Add meant that if you already own some then maybe you should get some more but if you do not have a position then stay away from them. This may be relevant if you want to bring down your average cost.

Back