Broker in Galway/Mayo

Kiwigirl

I recently contacted a broker to enquire about switching providers. As we are witH Pepper & paying high interest rates. I gave him my email address & 2 weeks later i hadn’t heard back from him so I contacted him again re sending on a checklist of everything we need to be doing. Received checklist & then had a query relating to itt so sent a text. Few days have passed now & no reply. Am anxious to get the ball rolling on this & don’t know if he is extremely busy with other clients etc. should we stick with this broker or try someone else? We are very cash strapped & getting more worried now about the future etc with money

In the modern world, does the broker really need to also be in the West of Ireland?

Widening your search might make things easier.

No he absolutely doesn’t have to be, for convenience I was thinking that way as it’s near where I live. As mentioned already this broker is very slow to come back to me & i don’t like that. So if someone can recommend a good broker I would really appreciate it. We are prepared to travel further afield if needed.

In the modern world, does the broker really need to also be in the West of Ireland?

Widening your search might make things easier.
Correct I used a online broker (one well known one was very slow seemed unstaffed and other online one who sorted me out.)Was very fast a couple Hours after the docs were uploaded. They verified it and sent to banks process was very quick.

The good one I used was doddl.ie hope it helps. No connection to them just been a client.

Last edited by a moderator:
No he absolutely doesn’t have to be, for convenience I was thinking that way as it’s near where I live. As mentioned already this broker is very slow to come back to me & i don’t like that. So if someone can recommend a good broker I would really appreciate it. We are prepared to travel further afield if needed.

Dave Curry in Nova Mortgages is excellent.

I don’t think you need to travel at all TBH.

@Kiwigirl Does your mortgage have a warehoused portion (a portion where you are not paying any interest at all for the moment)? If it does, it is unlikely that you will be able to switch, unfortunately.

You mentioned that you were on interest only with PTSB for a time. When was your mortgage sold to Pepper?

The good one I used was doddl.ie hope it helps. No connection to them just been a client.
I have also heard good things about Doddl.ie

@Kiwigirl You should be aware that some brokers are terrible and some brokers only have access to a handful of lenders. For example, very few brokers have access to Avant, but Avant have some of the best rates. (Doddl have access to Avant.)

And AIB may have some of the best rates by the time you complete the switch, but they don't work with brokers, so you would need to apply directly to them.

Here are the current rates across the different lenders. Follow the instructions in that thread to figure out which table to look at. You will then have a good idea of the rates that your broker should be offering you.

You need a broker who is efficient, who has access to multiple lenders and who is prepared to apply to more than one lender at the same time (because rates could go up at any time during the process). If your current broker does not meet those requirements, you should consider ditching them – provided you can do so without having to pay a fee.

Last edited:
Dave Curry in Nova Mortgages is excellent.

I don’t think you need to travel at all TBH.
Thank you
@Kiwigirl Does your mortgage have a warehoused portion (a portion where you are not paying any interest at all for the moment)? If it does, it is unlikely that you will be able to switch, unfortunately.

You mentioned that you were on interest only with PTSB for a time. When was your mortgage sold to Pepper?

I have also heard good things about Doddl.ie

@Kiwigirl You should be aware that some brokers are terrible and some brokers only have access to a handful of lenders. For example, very few brokers have access to Avant, but Avant have some of the best rates. (Doddl have access to Avant.)

And AIB may have some of the best rates by the time you complete the switch, but they don't work with brokers, so you would need to apply directly to them.

Here are the current rates across the different lenders. Follow the instructions in that thread to figure out which table to look at. You will then have a good idea of the rates that your broker should be offering you.

You need a broker who is efficient, who has access to multiple lenders and who is prepared to apply to more than one lender at the same time (because rates could go up at any time during the process). If your current broker does not meet those requirements, you should consider ditching them – provided you can do so without having to pay a fee.
thanks for your reply, much appreciated. Both me & my husband have bank a/c’s in AIB. Would this be an advantage to us if we approached them re: switching our mortgage?

Both me & my husband have bank a/c’s in AIB. Would this be an advantage to us if we approached them re: switching our mortgage?
It would help very little, I would think. But maybe others here have a different view.

Does your mortgage have a warehoused portion (a portion where you are not paying any interest at all for the moment)? If it does, it is unlikely that you will be able to switch, unfortunately.

Would you mind answering these questions? Without this info nobody here can tell you if it is even worth attempting to switch to another lender.

We think it was 2018/2019 that our mortgage was sold to Pepper. The answer to the other question is no

@Kiwigirl Thanks. When was the last time that you were on interest only with PTSB?

Consider getting a copy of your credit record here (it's free). But continue with your switching application even before that arrives – possibly with a new broker.

Both me & my husband have bank a/c’s in AIB. Would this be an advantage to us if we approached them re: switching our mortgage?

If you have historic skeletons in your bank statements, like bounced direct debits, unauthorised overdrawing etc., but they're over 6 months ago and you apply to a different lender, the lender asks you for 6 month's current account statements and that's all they can see, aside from your credit report as mentioned by Paul above. If you apply to AIB they can see back on your current account history as far as they want.

Probably a stupid question but as mentioned already I have contacted a broker regarding getting my mortgage switched over. So I am in the process of gathering all the paperwork needed for same. I went into my local AIB branch yesterday to get a 6 month bank statement for myself. While there I was talking to one of the staff members briefly about my circumstances. I got an email later about coming into the branch anytime if I wanted to make enquiries about switching my mortgage. I know AIB don’t deal with brokers, should I go ahead and contact AIB about switching? My husband said we should just wait for the broker to come back to us when we have submitted all the paperwork required

@Kiwigirl Just to reiterate what I said in a previous post:
You need a broker who is efficient, who has access to multiple lenders [ideally including Avant] and who is prepared to apply to more than one lender at the same time (because rates could go up at any time during the process). If your current broker does not meet those requirements, you should consider ditching them – provided you can do so without having to pay a fee.

And yes, as RedOnion says, you should apply to AIB as well.

Thanks for your replies. If we are very lucky & AIB make us an offer then we can accept or hold out for something better. My husband is very negative about our situation but as I say to him we won’t know the outcome until later on.

Back